1997 - 2003 F-150

alignment

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 01:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
alignment

So before I had my 35" mounted, my truck always pulled a little to the Left. When I had the tires mounted I had them align it. Still pulls to the Left if I let go of the wheel. I took it back and they checked the alignment. They insured me it was in spec and they couldn't tweek anything else.

Any suggestions as to why it would still pull to the left?

I was thinking maybe a stuck caliper, but I dont feel any drag.

Thoughts suggestions?

Thanks,

Old 12-05-2011, 02:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It does not take much drag to cause it to pull. I would check the brakes. I would also have all of the front suspension checked (tie-rods, ball joints, etc) checked to make sure they can get a good alignment. If parts are bad, your alignment is only good while it is sitting on the alignment machine. As soon as you drive it, it will be out again.

Old 12-05-2011, 03:40 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by kingfish51
It does not take much drag to cause it to pull. I would check the brakes. I would also have all of the front suspension checked (tie-rods, ball joints, etc) checked to make sure they can get a good alignment. If parts are bad, your alignment is only good while it is sitting on the alignment machine. As soon as you drive it, it will be out again.
you can not align with any of the front components worn. The shop would have called to tell you that with the problems and estimate if something were worn out.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:34 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Could be a radial pull. switch opposite side rear tire to the drivers front left. see what happens. If it still pulls switch fronts. If it still pulls probably a lower ball joint that they failed to inspect endplay on correctly.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:51 AM
I know it's not the tires as it did it before I put the larger tires on.
Not only does the truck pull to the left, it moves the steering wheel too.

thats the reason why I think they are having issues aligning it.

They drive the truck very slowly onto ramp straight, which at that point they account for the wheel being not aligned. So then when they hook those machines onto each wheel to align it it more or less says it's aligned.

As for suspension parts, they are all good.

I was beginning to think maybe something with the actual steering wheels is off. I'll look things over, but for now I guess I have to crank the steering wheel slightly to keep it going straight.... .

I might also try another shop. Hate to spend another 80 for an alignment.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:58 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Tierods under load could be giving a false reading. My experience is when it says it's aligned right it has issues. Could be a control arm bushing giving under load. Load being the force applied due to rearward peassure of moving forward. It changes everything. especially if only one side is doing the giving. Lower ball joints are usually a hard one for then to tell sometimes. My truck pulls right a little because of a failing lower ball joint on the passenger side which is going to be replaced very soon. These are a couple ideas that I had due to 10 plus years of dealing with these trucks and always having to go back to the alignment shop for them to tweek it a bit to get er to roll straight.

Quick Reply: alignment