1997 - 2003 F-150

Engine Replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 10:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Replaced?

I'm looking to buy a 2002 F-150 SuperCrew. It has 188,000 miles on it, but the dealer claims it has a new engine in it in February of this year. He bought it from a dealer in town who took it as a trade in. The previous owner supplied the dealer with the paperwork and warranty for the new engine, but the used car dealer didn't show up to pick up the paper work. I called the dealer who took it as a trade in, and they confirmed that they did have that paperwork but threw it away because the used car dealer had failed to pick it up, and they assumed he wasn't going to. Is there a way to determine the maker of the engine (preferably motorcraft) and date the engine was assembled?? Does Ford reissue the warranty information, if so, how would I get that information? Thanks

Old 11-24-2010, 12:00 AM
Sounds fishy. If this was true, why want they give you a warranty in writing to back up what they are saying.

Old 11-24-2010, 12:09 AM
I dunno why it keeps double posting my posts..

Last edited by Toyz; 11-24-2010 at 01:16 AM.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:13 AM
If I recall, there are stickers throughout the engine/block and heads that have the build date on them. At least the motor that I bought did. Just can't remember exactly where they were but I do remember seeing them in more than one area on the engine. I would definitely find a way to verify it and not just take their word before buying. I believe there was a sticker right on the front timing cover.

Here are some that I am talking about, just going through some pics, this is the front timing cover which you can barely see but its there, and also the back of the valve cover dating 4-18-00

Just looking at my old motor, There is also a sticker on the drivers side valve cover, that one and the one on the front of the timing cover will be the easiest to spot. And you should be able to tell the difference between 188k motor and a new motor, well.... maybe not the way the dealerships power wash and grease the hell out of the engine bay.

Last edited by Toyz; 11-24-2010 at 12:21 AM.

Quick Reply: Engine Replaced?