1997 - 2003 F-150

pressure plate question...

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 03:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pressure plate question...

hello folks, i have a bone-stock '03 v6 reg cab mt with about 76xxx miles on it. my driveway has a slight incline and i always park facing up the incline with the parking brake 'on' and left in 1st gear. i push the clutch to start the truck, back up in neutral then go in 1st to go down the street. what's happened maybe 4times in the last 2weeks is when i hit the clutch to start my truck the clutch had a spongy feel to it-almost like the brake pedal has when it has air in the system. it goes in neutral fine, but a few seconds later when i hit the clutch again to go into 1st to go down the street, the truck lurches forward due to the spongy feel again of the clutch when i released it. from that point on, the clutch is fine. i've had the truck maybe 2years and haven't had this happen before. yesterday, the clutch had a spongy feel on one occasion after i'd been driving a while-the other occasions were all upon startup after the truck had been sitting a few hours. i'm not leaking any clutch(brake) fluid and other than these 5 instances i haven't had any issues. any ideas? my first thought was maybe the pressure plate is going out but i would think 76xxx miles is too soon for that isn't it? thanks for any input.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:45 AM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
It's more likely the slave cylinder is getting ready to fail, this is a common failure item. Try bleeding the system.

Old 10-24-2010, 05:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks for the input glc...

i haven't driven a standard for years and i can't believe i forgot about the slave cylinder...i'll add that to my '75000' to-do list. thanks again.

Old 10-24-2010, 07:41 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Be prepared for a hefty labor bill if the slave pops - it's inside the bellhousing.

Quick Reply: pressure plate question...