1997 - 2003 F-150

Tough decision to make...

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 03:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tough decision to make...

ok so here is the deal i am stuck on,

i need to get some body work done on my truck, the passenger fender is kind of chewed up from the previous owner and i never got around to doing anything about it. however, there are little dings in the paint on the hood and random places throughout the truck so it could (doesnt NEED) but could use a new paint job

i talked to a friend of and he said he would do the body work a whole new paint job for around 1,400 (parts included and professional work he works at a body shop) and i would really like to go to a dark gray color i have always loved it...

BUT, if i only get the body work done and just get a touch up paint job and stay with the current color i could save a little bit more and add a 6' suspension lift to my 3' body lift that is going in next weekend

few pics...

only pictures i have right now sorry its hard to see the fender damage from a distance

this week, 3' PA BL, front and backs bumpers are getting bedlined and possibly windows tinted

Old 04-25-2010, 03:51 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Didn't you just post this last week ? You starting over ?

Old 04-25-2010, 04:29 PM

Wait! Last week it was $800 for a paint job, you just had to provide the fender. So was that BS or what?

Old 04-25-2010, 04:45 PM
ya i did post this last week but that was just labor im just guessing after buying the fender and paint it will come out to around 1,200-1,400 not positive though,

i was posting this because i have to wait about a month anyways til i get the money together and while i have been waiting i have been considering different ideas and i thought of these two and im not quit sure which direction to go so i asked all of you guys!

Old 04-25-2010, 06:55 PM

Should try to keep it in the same thread. It's allot easier understanding what your trying to do, also, - this doesn't waste our time giving you the same answers that you already have, via- your other thread.

Understand, -painting is the easy part. The entire vehicle to do yourself is between 200 -400 bucks depending on the paint your using. 10 minutes to spray these trucks per coat and generally you would use 3 base coats and 3 clear.

Before you paint you have to scuff existing and mask everything you don't want painted, then prime the vehicle.

So $800 was a damn good deal.

If you want to keep it at that and get that body and suspension lift (just get the suspension lift, body lifts sort of suck when you have to work on them, -up to you), I suggest doing the body work yourself. It's not that difficult, just time consuming. Try fixing this lol -

Or this -

It can be done -

If I can do it, I'm sure you can handle a few dents yourself. Never been an Auto Body tech, I just followed a few write-ups, here -

http://www.repairnation.com/paint_n_...corner_pg1.htm

http://www.easypaintyourcar.com/CarP...fcarpaint.html

I had a estimate of 3800 to paint my truck , yea right! So I didn't have much choice, I had freakin holes lol.

You can save yourself quite a bit of cash. I guess it depends how bad you want those lift kits lol.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Paint is expensive up there. I got the pearl coat job on mine for $2300. When I got it back, I couldn't find any flaws in it that were of any size. But it is showing some wear now. I'm just glad I don't have the salt problem here in the south. We just have to keep the love bugs off of them. I drove through a flock of them one night last week, and the whole front of the truck and the windshield were covered{literally thousands of them on there}. Those bugs can destroy a paint job.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:44 PM
Originally Posted by jbrew
Should try to keep it in the same thread. It's allot easier understanding what your trying to do, also, - this doesn't waste our time giving you the same answers that you already have, via- your other thread.

Understand, -painting is the easy part. The entire vehicle to do yourself is between 200 -400 bucks depending on the paint your using. 10 minutes to spray these trucks per coat and generally you would use 3 base coats and 3 clear.

Before you paint you have to scuff existing and mask everything you don't want painted, then prime the vehicle.

So $800 was a damn good deal.

If you want to keep it at that and get that body and suspension lift (just get the suspension lift, body lifts sort of suck when you have to work on them, -up to you), I suggest doing the body work yourself. It's not that difficult, just time consuming. Try fixing this lol -

Or this -

It can be done -

If I can do it, I'm sure you can handle a few dents yourself. Never been an Auto Body tech, I just followed a few write-ups, here -

http://www.repairnation.com/paint_n_...corner_pg1.htm

http://www.easypaintyourcar.com/CarP...fcarpaint.html

I had a estimate of 3800 to paint my truck , yea right! So I didn't have much choice, I had freakin holes lol.

You can save yourself quite a bit of cash. I guess it depends how bad you want those lift kits lol.

well i already have the lift kit and im not paying a shop to do it so that will save a lot of cash and honestly i dont mind paying someone to paint my truck if it is going to come out looking professional because its my baby and im not experienced enough to tackle it alone and also im getting to learn from a good source

and sorry about posting two threads wont do it again! just wanted to see what yalls opinion was on the matter

Old 04-25-2010, 08:46 PM

you gotta remember if you do the suspension lift also your gonna want tires and gears which will more than double to triple the cost of the parts for the lift.

id say just paint it royal blue metallic

Old 04-25-2010, 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by thejake1989
you gotta remember if you do the suspension lift also your gonna want tires and gears which will more than double to triple the cost of the parts for the lift.

id say just paint it royal blue metallic
haha im already getting my bumpers bedlined how bout i just change my name to jake ?

Old 04-26-2010, 12:04 AM
Originally Posted by jbrew

Or this -

It can be done -

Did you cut that out with a butter knife? Joking. I'm guessing you left that little sliver of steel between the 2 pieces for structure and to keep the line there. The outcome looks good. Is there going to be a hard line int he primer and paint where your tape is?

Old 04-26-2010, 12:32 AM
Yeah, if you can get it painted for $1,400 go for it. Mines in the shop getting painted and it's costing $7,000

Old 04-26-2010, 01:13 AM
^ holy crap! what are you getting done?

Old 04-26-2010, 01:26 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Mach I's body and paint was about 15 grand.. Had a big dent.. Body damage from 2 accidents. I honestly didnt keep track. Paid the body shop 10 grand and I bought ALLOT of part. bought a parts car and all. Not cheap. Spent way more then the cars worth on the restoration. Spent over a grand on the interior alone..

Old 04-26-2010, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by Toyz
Did you cut that out with a butter knife? Joking. I'm guessing you left that little sliver of steel between the 2 pieces for structure and to keep the line there. The outcome looks good. Is there going to be a hard line int he primer and paint where your tape is?
Yep, and the wrong side of the butter knife as well. Hell, there was to much cancer below the body line. I cut straight across 1" above the body line, then fused in a new panel. Yea, I didn't sand the one side yet, I did a little on the other, you can see my blend line their. 3 coats of Etching primer/ 2 coats of High build on the outside. Inside, there's 2 coats of Etching/ 2 of 3M undercoating. Yea, I have a blend yield on both sides, but I'm shooting the entire truck now anyway, so it doesn't matter. Replacing rust with metal, least amount of filler as possible. Man those panels heat up quick miggin lol.

One side hacked off -

Quick Reply: Tough decision to make...