1997 - 2003 F-150

4 Wheel Drive Grind

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 07:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4 Wheel Drive Grind

Today me and a friend went out and had a little fun going through some small mud puddles and areas. Nothing major at all really. It was like going over some grass/dirt areas that were wet and driving through there. I did use 4 wheel drive earlier just today to get out of a little snow that I was just slightly stuck in and it didn't make a noise and I got out fine. Now my friend suggested going through some muddy area once in 4 wheel drive. After having gone through a few times in 2 wheel drive we did once in 4 wheel drive and it now makes a fairly loud grinding like noise only in 4 wheel drive. I think I must of hit or knocked something, I'm not sure. There is no problem when I'm just driving out of 4 wheel drive. It seems to be coming mainly from like the front right side. I understand stuff will happen and break when off roading and such.

Since it doesn't make a noise as long as I'm out of 4 wheel drive it is ok to drive, right? What could this possibly be or sound like? Would this be something that is better fixed by a mechanic or would it be possible for a inexperienced person to fix and a idea on cost?

Trying to get a idea?
-Russ03

edit: After trying once in 4 wheel drive high, i tried putting it in 4 wheel drive low and it didn't seem to want to go in. I didn't force it and didn't want to really try again or anything so back in drive it went and I haven't put it in either again.

Last edited by Russ03; 03-09-2010 at 08:05 PM. Reason: added a little clarification
Old 03-10-2010, 11:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my '97 F150 5.4L V8 4X4 with 9.75 rear and 8.8 front was also making some weird sounds when id go into 4wheel drive, check ur front diff fluid levels and smell if they smell burnt, i replaced my diff fluid in the front and my problem whent away. buddie also has a '97 F150 with the 4.7 in it and his was the same way but it ended up being his Cv joints and hubs.... check em out, might be kinda expensive but id change the fluid in both diffs and grease all ur fittings and see if that corrects ur problem?

Quick Reply: 4 Wheel Drive Grind