1997 - 2003 F-150

How to: Super duty mirr swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 01:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to: Super duty mirr swap

This is going to be difficult to explain with no pictures, but ive had several questions and requests on doin a write up. I also aint no English major so if there is any confusion anywhere let me know and ill try to clear it up.

1) -Alrighty starting at the beginning-, I ordered a set of dang ole 99 f250 merrs (merrs means mirrors for my north of kentucky friends) all manual offa Ebay.
You can probaly find them cheaper in one a them junk yards but i wanted to start with a brand new set.

2) -Mounting the merrs-
Mounting the merrs are a piece uh cake. I am assuming everyone knows how to remove their current merrs. There are four bolts on the 250 merrs and only three on them dang ole 150 merrs. This is where the pain begins. Take a grinder and grind off the top bolt towards the front of the truck on the 250 merrs. Three bolts on the mirr still provides plenty of strength. When you put the f250 merr to the door the bottom two bolts should line up with holes already there. Mark where that dang ole top bolt hits on the door. next drill a hole where you marked. Ill come back to the rest of the mounting in step 4

3)-Trimming the trim- (No where near the end of the pain)-
On this step i bard (bard means borrowed) one of them little ole hand held mobile type grinders to do some Cuttin on the trim. What you wanna do is cut/grind anything that sticks out over what the stock merr covers. Sorry no pics. Then i used a dremel tool to make everything nas (nas means nice) and smooth on the edges.

4)-The rest of the mounting- (Pain still here)
That dang ole top bolt still needs some work. On the inside of the door there is another layer of metal that has to be slightly modified before you can get to it to place a nut on it. For this i used a 3/4" spade blade to cut a hole to access the other side of the bolt. dont worry the door panel covers all this. Now just put the mirr on. If the top bolt doesn't seem to go in far enough you my need to grind down a little more of the metal on the mirr. just grind a little and test fit until your pleased with how it mounts.

5)-startin to make it purty- (you know)
Now that the merrs are mounted you'll notice that you need to cover up some places that the merrs dont cover. Since i aint really the Dale Earnhardt of fiberglass, i used quick steel for this. (I consider my self the tony stewart of Quick steel, better than gordon but not near a Earnhardt sr. yet) Its also stronger and easer (means easier) to mess with. With the merrs mounted take some quick steel (takes about 3 tubes per mirr) and mold it to the shape of the places needin to be covered while bein careful not to let it bond to the truck. i ran a pocket naf (knife) behind it to be sure. over lap the quick steel onto the mirr. once it sets (about 10 min) take the mirrs back off

6)-sanding and painting- (yep)
Once all ats (thats) done take a purty course sandpaper or dremel tool to shape the curves a little better and smooth all of it out. Then sand with a real fine sandpaper.
for painting i used a primer made by krylon and primed up the whole base of the mirr with 3 coats and lightly sanding between each coat. Once ats done i Painted the base with dupilcolor paint.

8)-The fun part-
Bolt em on air (there) warsher (wash her) up and enjoy

Any confusions? sorry i had no pics and i hope yall (you all) find this useful

Old 02-01-2010, 06:08 AM
Ver funy! Can you post a picture of the finished product?

Old 02-01-2010, 05:30 PM
Technical Article Contributor

nice write up lol.

Alot of people will love this i think.

Last edited by BigTruckGuy; 02-01-2010 at 05:33 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:57 PM
These pics are the best i got. The mirrors still needed a little more sandin but this is pretty much it.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:01 PM

Hey man how did you smoke your headlights? are those your factory ones or did you buy diff ones? Nice
Mirrors look good to.

Old 02-01-2010, 11:25 PM
Its a film that goes over the lights. you can get the kits off ebay for 10-$15

Old 02-01-2010, 11:30 PM

like paper film or a plastic film?
how does it hold up to mud and dirt and stuff?

Old 02-02-2010, 04:20 PM
Thank you for the write-up! I really want to do this. I have a supercrew and I think in the original mirror swap thread someone mentioned that supercrews have a taller mirror base which would make the swap easier. Can anyone confirm this???

Old 02-02-2010, 04:39 PM
Bigtruckguy. They sell paint to black out headlights

Old 02-02-2010, 05:06 PM

whats the paint called?

and i heard that to about the supercrews being easier mirror swap but cant confirm.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:05 PM
nightshades off ebay

Old 02-02-2010, 11:09 PM

k thanks. can you get it at like autozone or somethin or does it have to come off ebay?

Old 02-03-2010, 10:00 PM
im not sure would have to check it out.. im sure they sell different brands -- it was a spray paint my buddy actually has it for his tailights im just gana borrow his to do my 3rd break light when i paint the trim black since its small and he has extra

Old 02-03-2010, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by BigTruckGuy
k thanks. can you get it at like autozone or somethin or does it have to come off ebay?
orielly's

Old 02-03-2010, 10:19 PM

k thx. ya il prolly do that.

Quick Reply: How to: Super duty mirr swap