1997 - 2003 F-150

Engine Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 12:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Problems?

I bought my 2000 F150 XLT Supercab 4X4 on 1/23/2010 from a used car lot. The owner said their was no issues with it at all, but the radio did not work. So, I drove the four hours to pick it up and drove it home. The rear tailight was cracked, the radio didn't work, and the power door lock on the passengers side did not work. However, thanks to this forum I fixed those issues.

However, last night I drove my 15 minute drive home, parked the vehicle, went in the house, came out and left again. When I returned, I noticed a 2-3 inch diameter of antifreeze with some oil in it. Immediately, I crawled underneath the truck and noticed the drivers side it was saturated (wet) but not dripping. The passenger side was dry as a bone. The top of the motor was saturated as well. So, I contacted the dealer via email with pictures in which I told him I believed it was the head gasket. He responds back that he did not care about the pictures, but I needed to bring it back, leave it to drive four hours home, and his guys would work on it. He would contact me when it was fixed. I would then have to drive another four hours, pick up the truck, and drive four hours home. I am sure that his mechanics are not like the ones you find at the dealer (ASE certified). Now, I am not insulting mechanics that are not ASE certified, but this is a small lot. How am I to know that they actually replaced the gasket or make more problems?

So, my question is does this sound like a head gasket problem? Does this seem right for me to waste my time to drive vs. him picking it up?

Old 01-26-2010, 01:25 PM
If it were me, I would give that truck right back to the dealer and not look back. However, I also probably would not have taken it home in the first place once I determined simple things, such as the door locks etc. were not working when the dealer said the truck is in total working order. Hopefully you got a really good deal on the truck and the dealer owns up to the flaws and repairs it.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:29 PM
It was a one owner, no issues on the carfax, with 101,000 miles. The radio was unpluged, between the other two things it was $100. I paid $8900 for the truck. The dealer told me that if I had problems to let him know and he would fix them.

Quick Reply: Engine Problems?