1997 - 2003 F-150

Manual Transfercase?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 01:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manual Transfercase?

Did they ever make one, or can you convert an electronic one to a manual?

Curious.

Thanks

Old 10-26-2009, 01:10 PM
They did make them in our year trucks (97-03).... I'm not sure on the conversion, however. I'd imagine that there would be a ton of work involved to do such a conversion.

Old 10-26-2009, 01:26 PM
Oh ok, I wonder if it used the same tcase.. Hmmmm... My electronic one gives me fits.

Old 10-26-2009, 01:34 PM
Yea, I'm not sure... I would think they are different transfer cases altogether, along with some different adapters for the transmission. But I hear you on wanting the manual transfer over the electric. Many feel the same way. Hopefully someone with more experience on this matter will post up. It would be a cool project if it isn't too ridiculously priced and time consuming to pull off.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:33 PM
If I'm not mistaken the transfer cases on all the 97 and ups are the BW4406 they just come in different versions (electric/manual shift). As for whether or not a manual one will bolt right up to to a transmission that originally was mated to an electric one I can't say although I can definantly see why you would want to swap over to a manual t-case. That was a very important feature to me when I was shopping for my truck, I've seen way to many problems with the electric ones.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:19 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I believe I read that there's a difference in the truck's computer for electric/manual shift. I think there's quite a bit more to the conversion than just putting a shift lever on the floor (another reason I love my XL).

Old 10-27-2009, 11:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
though the transfer cases are the same, the internal shifting mechanism for a manual vs. an electric is different. long story short, you would need the whole new manual transfer case, unless you want to try to cannibalize your electric one and convert it to manual.

converting to a manual cannot be too difficult, the electronic hell would be going from manual to electric. the new manual transfer case will bolt onto the transmission directly.

obviously, you would need to cut a hole in the floorboard, and mount the shifting lever and boot assembly.

i would imagine a decent turner could turn off the electronics solenoids for the electric shift, and respond to the manual shift.

Trending Topics

Old 10-27-2009, 09:11 PM
Yea I found one with a manual transfer case and it also had the 5 speed so i grabbed it. I know people who have problems with the electric shift transfer case.

Quick Reply: Manual Transfercase?