1997 - 2003 F-150

Please help, factory stud length.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 06:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help, factory stud length.

Well my truck is an 02 supercrew. I just bought some 20x9 chrome xd badlands, with 35x12.50 mud grapplers, and they quit making that rim in my bolt pattern which was 5x135 so i had the shop get me some adapters for a newer f-150 6 lug bolt pattern. Had them installed yesterday drove about a mile, and my rear end drops to the ground, i look over and what do you know my brand new rim is passing my truck going down the road. So now the wheel shop is accusing the shop who made the adapters and vice versa. So does anyone know the factory hub stud length? When i measured mine my studs were 1 5/8ths long. And my truck had the factory lug(studs) and rims. I think some type of lawsuit is coming, so i need to get all of my information correct. My tire got gashed, my brake got ruined, my rim got all scuffed up, and my adapter is all messed up along with my studs. Not to mention all the money that its going to take to fix all this, and pay for the towing truck. These were brand new rims, tires, and adapters also. Thank you for your help.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Another reason not to run adaptors/spacers. What exactly happened? Did the OEM studs break? Did they come loose? Did the studs on the adaptors break or come loose? How exactly did the wheel come off?

Old 09-02-2009, 10:55 PM
I dont know if you are familiar with adapters but heres how they worked. Two piece adapters, one piece bolts onto my oem studs, next piece of the adapter uses allen bolts to bolt on to the adapter piece on my oem hub which is the piece with the new 6 lug studs. Now heres what happened, my oem studs were 1 5/8ths long on my oem hub. The adapters were made and the place was under the impression my oem studs were 1 1/2 inches. There fore the two piece adapters didnt bolt snug together they had a gap in them, and only held on by four threads. After about a mile the four threads just stripped out. I am going to post some pictures for everyone to look at when the e-mail comes through.

Old 09-03-2009, 11:27 AM
Originally Posted by T-rob
I dont know if you are familiar with adapters but heres how they worked. Two piece adapters, one piece bolts onto my oem studs, next piece of the adapter uses allen bolts to bolt on to the adapter piece on my oem hub which is the piece with the new 6 lug studs. Now heres what happened, my oem studs were 1 5/8ths long on my oem hub. The adapters were made and the place was under the impression my oem studs were 1 1/2 inches. There fore the two piece adapters didnt bolt snug together they had a gap in them, and only held on by four threads. After about a mile the four threads just stripped out. I am going to post some pictures for everyone to look at when the e-mail comes through.
This is exactly why spacers are not recomended...did you drive the truck knowing the studs werent right. I have had tires pop of to because the studs broke its really and easy job and can be done in about 15 mins with the correct tools

Old 09-03-2009, 11:05 PM
http://rides.webshots.com/album/574479597fZYECn thats a link to a website the pictures are on. The studs were right, they quit making the xd badland in my bolt pattern, so i had the shop custom order me some adapters to make the rims they had in stock fit on my truck. And they made the adapters wrong.

Last edited by T-rob; 09-03-2009 at 11:08 PM.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hope they pay for all the damages since it was their fault.

Old 09-04-2009, 07:04 PM
yeah, the wheel and tire place is saying its not their fault cause they didnt make the adapter, and the adapter place is saying its not their fault cause they didnt install them. so now im just ******ed.

Quick Reply: Please help, factory stud length.