1997 - 2003 F-150

4.6 check engine light troubles

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 01:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4.6 check engine light troubles

hey all. my 97 f150 has had codes on for like a week. before it was misfiring on all cylinders so i changed the plugs which were SUPER f'ed up(real corroded and a couple had oil on em) but really it didnt run that bad. anyway that made all the codes go away except po304 which is the back cyl on passenger side. and also my egr is giving a code now. granted i am running no exhuast pipes past my cats. but heres the thing before i changed the plugs i didnt have the erg code and my truck didnt run that bad. now my check engine light flashed whenb i drive and it runs like a turd. what do you guys think? loose plug? bad wire? anything would help. thanks all.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:51 AM
so you have your exhaust dumped under the cab?

egr code is a common problem, do a search and you will find a ton of stuff.
i would change the plug wires if they havent been done

Old 07-21-2009, 02:13 AM
yeah my tubes dump off about halfway back on the third door under the center of the truck, about a foot from the driveshaft on either side

Old 07-21-2009, 02:20 AM
My truck has done the same thing, but I have the 98 with the 4.6. When my truck's CEL was flashing and it ran really bad it turned out that it needed a 12dollar cam position sensor.The cam position sensor will cause it to mis-fire which will make the CEL blink and it will shake pretty bad going down the road. I currently have the egr problem too, and I have done everything from taking manifolds off and putting new bolts and gaskets,getting new vacuum hoses, egr valve, egr valve intake tube,new DPFE sensor and hoses that lead to it. I have changed out oxygen sensors and just about every egr related part for new motocraft parts and I still cant get rid of the code. If you ever figure out something that will get rid of it please tell me because I would love to know.

Old 07-21-2009, 02:34 AM
Originally Posted by b2therad
My truck has done the same thing, but I have the 98 with the 4.6. When my truck's CEL was flashing and it ran really bad it turned out that it needed a 12dollar cam position sensor.The cam position sensor will cause it to mis-fire which will make the CEL blink and it will shake pretty bad going down the road. I currently have the egr problem too, and I have done everything from taking manifolds off and putting new bolts and gaskets,getting new vacuum hoses, egr valve, egr valve intake tube,new DPFE sensor and hoses that lead to it. I have changed out oxygen sensors and just about every egr related part for new motocraft parts and I still cant get rid of the code. If you ever figure out something that will get rid of it please tell me because I would love to know.

sounds like the same thing i got. she shakes pretty bad going down the road thats for dam sure. a buddy of mine suggested and mavbey you can try it. take carb cleaner and spray it around the gasket for your intake plenum, if its leaking your truck will rev a litttle. i havent tryed it on mine yet but im gonna tommorrow

Old 07-21-2009, 02:42 AM
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Phill
sounds like the same thing i got. she shakes pretty bad going down the road thats for dam sure. a buddy of mine suggested and mavbey you can try it. take carb cleaner and spray it around the gasket for your intake plenum, if its leaking your truck will rev a litttle. i havent tryed it on mine yet but im gonna tommorrow
highly doubt your plenum is leaking. sounds like you have a bad misfire. could be caused by vacuum leak or plug wires. the egr code usually means u need a DPFE sensor. dont go spraying carb cleaner all over your motor

Old 07-21-2009, 02:44 AM
how about PAM?

Trending Topics

Old 07-21-2009, 03:10 AM
how about PAM?
u might as well just spray the pam in your eyes

Old 07-21-2009, 10:31 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by MmmBuckles
u might as well just spray the pam in your eyes
I'm thinkin he's snortin the stuff

Anyway, if the upper or lower was leaking, -just a little; ~you would be generating lean codes.

This cracks me up -

hey all. my 97 f150 has had codes on for like a week. before it was misfiring on all cylinders so i changed the plugs which were SUPER f'ed up(real corroded and a couple had oil on em) but really it didnt run that bad.
You owe me a keyboard Big Daddy

BTW- You might want to practice up a bit on your writing skills. As it reads,
you don't have none.

Just sayin :o

Old 07-21-2009, 03:13 PM
i do have a lean code po171 i prolly neglected to mention that it was like 3 am when i posted this. and i perfer to freebase my pam thanks

Old 07-21-2009, 03:37 PM
Originally Posted by jbrew
I'm thinkin he's snortin the stuff

Anyway, if the upper or lower was leaking, -just a little; ~you would be generating lean codes.

This cracks me up -

You owe me a keyboard Big Daddy

BTW- You might want to practice up a bit on your writing skills. As it reads,
you don't have none.

Just sayin :o

ok what i meant i guess was that compared to the way it runs now it wasnt too bad

Old 07-21-2009, 05:11 PM
Originally Posted by MmmBuckles
the egr code usually means u need a DPFE sensor.
What do you do when a new DPFE sensor does not solve anything? I have spent near 500 dollars on parts to get away from the CEL being on all the time. IMO I think its embarrassing. I have had no luck and 3 mechanics are stumped. One of the mechanics actually told me that its possessed and that there is nothing else that can be fixed

Old 07-21-2009, 09:06 PM
i got lucky with mine, and only replaced the egr valve and that got rid of the code.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:22 PM
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
Respectfully, codes do mean something.
What are they?
You do not guess and throw parts at somthing you don't know anything about.
The EGR system has many parts to it and software controls.
The code tells what 'test' has failed and relates to the hardware that may cause it.
Most common EGR code is the P0401.
To know what to work with, you need to know what test failed and how the system uses the test in order to work on finding what has failed.
Lot's of mechanics still try to guess from the code.
The code does not tell what part has failed, only what test has failed and that suggests what parts of the system are involved.
Please try and remember that the motor runs on software control of the hardware. just like your computer and is not a simple relationship like an old vehichle.
The program has thousands of lines of programming and about 2000 codes embedded.
A true tech should have had school on how the systems work and be a snap to find the faults using a scanner to address the PCM and read the stored data and input test commands to see what the results are.
This gets real close to the faults in a hurry.
Otherwise the owner has to learn how the system in fault works to be able to get to a conclusion without spending a large total on parts not needed OR have a stroke of luck.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:22 PM
You are very lucky. I think im going to get new cats. Maybe that will take care of it. I think the cats are the only things that arent new emission-wise. Might as well right?

Quick Reply: 4.6 check engine light troubles