1997 - 2003 F-150

Question/Opinions/Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 07:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question/Opinions/Thoughts

Hello all. First, let me thank everyone who replied to my initial posts back in May. The tune up went off without a hitch. However I'm now facing a mere serious problem as far as starting the truck goes. When I turn the key, I get this awful grinding noise, and it normally takes a few turns of the key to start. It appears that the flywheel is missing teeth and is only getting worse. My question is: Is it worth repairing or try to get another 5.4L engine to replace it with. I have close to 150K of miles on it, and it's a 2000. Thanks In Advance.

Tony

Old 07-13-2009, 11:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HeavyTF150
Hello all. First, let me thank everyone who replied to my initial posts back in May. The tune up went off without a hitch. However I'm now facing a mere serious problem as far as starting the truck goes. When I turn the key, I get this awful grinding noise, and it normally takes a few turns of the key to start. It appears that the flywheel is missing teeth and is only getting worse. My question is: Is it worth repairing or try to get another 5.4L engine to replace it with. I have close to 150K of miles on it, and it's a 2000. Thanks In Advance.

Tony
You could replace the engine, but it would cost a lot more then a new flywheel. And if that is all thats wrong with it???? Put a "new" flywheel in it.

Old 07-14-2009, 04:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the same sound but have had my flywheel checked out and it was fine. Let me know if you figure out what it takes to fix it.