1997 - 2003 F-150

02 F-150 crank but will not start

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 04:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 F-150 crank but will not start

So there’s multiple threads on this but nothing relates to the problems I’m seeing.
First the alternator went out I changed it drove it about 70 miles. Next day the battery was dead so I tried jumping it off it fired for a split second then nothing. The tach and speedo were hung partly up. I charged it for a bit longer and finally the gauges reset but would not start. There is no theft light on, when the key is not in the ignition it acts like there is one the seat belt dings.

Old 07-31-2018, 05:54 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Check the codes. When my 02 intermittently spun over but wouldn't fire, I got a code that could have been triggered by disconnecting the battery or the PCM wasn't powering up. I replaced my PCM relay and that fixed it. Sounds like you have some wiring issues. I think I would make sure the battery is fully charged or buy a new battery and see what happens afterwards.

Last edited by Roadie; 07-31-2018 at 10:48 PM.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:38 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
I would first suspect the ignition switch to not be fully released.
There is a ROD from the key cylinder function to the ignition switch that may have a problem.
Please remember that a PCM with no power cannot have a code set under any circumstances because all codes would be lost from a reboot when the PCM is next powered up for a running engine.
You need to check if the charging system is working and if starting has an issue before any concern about codes. They come later with a running engine that has a fault to be detected by the PCM while engine is running..
Good luck.

Quick Reply: 02 F-150 crank but will not start