1997 - 2003 F-150

Few issues, need your input

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 08:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Few issues, need your input

Hello, I'm new to the forums and trucks in general. I'm looking forward to learning lots and helping those where I can as well.

97 F150 XLT 4x4 Extended Cab
4.6 V8 Automatic
108,000 miles
Has tow package
Tires are 265/75/16

Here are my few issues with the truck:

1) While driving say 65mph and you let off the gas there is vibration...you can feel it and kind of hear it too. Goes away as soon as you get back on the gas. Also, when you let of the gas, lower speed or higher speeds, and get back on the gas there is a kind of engagement sounds. Kind of like a clicking but you can feel. My guess is the U joints. Now I got down and grabbed the drive shaft going to the rear end and it wouldn't move, I grabbed the Half shaft(I thinkg that's what it's cald) infront of the drive shaft and it turns side to side, is that suppose to have play?
Thoughts, suggestions?

2) When I floor it from a still go or slowly driving 5-10mph and gun it there is a loud sound kind of like metal sheets dropping on the floor. Goes away when you let of the gas. I've only noticed it when doing the WOT pull in the lower speeds.

3) When I select 4H I can hear clicking in the dash board area, but the light never turns on letting me know it's on. If I put it in neutral and put it in 4L the light comes on and the clicking in the dash board is there as well. 4L works from what I could tell. Any thoughts to why 4H wouldn't if 4L does and what can I check?

I just got the truck and from what I know the truck has only been driven 14K miles in 4 years. It was a 3rd vehicle that the previous owner did not use much. Had a nasty tire blowout on my way home because the tires had dry rotted and the side wall blew out.

Thanks already!!!

Old 09-09-2008, 04:53 PM
Are you sure the clicking is under the dash? my old push button ranger would click and the light would come on but it was the clicking of the hubs

Old 09-10-2008, 10:27 AM
yea the clicking is coming from the dash.

Last night I opened the window and I could hear 4L engaging when selecting 4L just when putting it in 4H no sounds outside but you can hear the clicking in the dash and no light comes on.

Quick Reply: Few issues, need your input