PSI question

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2002, 04:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PSI question

Hi,

I just had my 10,000 Kilometwe service done at the dealer.
* Oil change
* Tire raoation, and
* Multi point inspection

The mechanic inflated my stock GY tires to 40 psi. (I had them at 35, but he said 40 was better)

In a few weeks, my wife & I are departing on our summer vacation with our small 13 foot travel trailer.

What pressure would be good for towing?
We will be driving approx 3,000 miles.

Should I leave them at 40, or does anyone have any suggestions from previous experience.

Thanks in advance

Habibi

Old 07-25-2002, 07:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For towing / hauling it is best to run a few extra PSI over what you would otherwise as it's the air pressure in the tires that hold up the weight, the tires just hold the air pressure in.

However with that being said NEVER exceed the maximum pressure on the tire. Wheels also have a maximum air pressure and load capicity but you are going to be fine in your case by simply following the tire / axle / GVWR, etc.

ALWAYS measure tire pressure when tires are cool (less then 1 mile of driving or after having set for over an hour to cool) as tires 'heat up' with driving and heated air expands thus rasing pressure.

You can also check with Ford recommended inflation pressures on door sticker. . .

Old 07-25-2002, 07:59 AM
WLF
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I burned up a set of Nitto tires in a little over one year running them over inflated. The center of the tire was bald while the outside had plenty of tread. Run them at the pressure that is on the decal on the inside door jam of the driver side door. That is the Ford recommended pressure and is the proper pressure for the best blend of comfort and fuel economy. Mine calls for 32 front and 35 rear.

Quick Reply: PSI question