painting stock rims

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2002, 01:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking painting stock rims

Gentlemen, Fellow FORD enthusiasts, and all the Good 'ole boys.,

have any of you tried painting the stock rims that came on f-150's. i don't nknow the name of the rims. but they have a polished and non polished part........i have seen one truck where the guy had painted the non polished part of the rim, the same color of his truck and it was awesome. so has anyone done that, and how did you go about it. did you have to re clearcoat everything?..............thanks fellas

denhamjr...

Old 07-10-2002, 02:23 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm sure you mean the alum wheels, but

here's what I did with my stock steel wheels. I have the chrome covers on them most of the time, but when the mood strikes, I can go for that "Cop Car" look.

I just gave the area I wanted to paint a quick clean with a degreaser and lightly sanded it to give the paint something to grab onto. I'm sure you could do the same for the alum wheels.

Old 07-10-2002, 05:47 PM
Mine came painted and have light rust along the outer lip. This spring I was wanting to have them re-painted. Is it simple enough that most any intelligent person could do it? Did you have the tires removed or did you just mask them off?

Old 07-11-2002, 02:42 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Talking Emissions:

I pulled the wheel/tire off the truck one side at a time and then cut out a piece of cardboard in a half circle to match the radius of the wheel. Then, after doing the prep work, started painting. I started with the outside, moving the cardboard as I went around. Used very light coats at first, then made them heavier as they dried. Let them sit in the sun inbetween coats too.

If you got rust, you should sand it off first. Maybe even apply a rust proof undercoating first. I just laid mine right on top of the silver paint mine came with.

Old 07-11-2002, 07:58 AM
For those of you that want the best possible quality done check your local area for a shop that does 'Powder Coat' application. There is a local vendor in the Richmond, VA area that will do it for about $20 per wheel (you must remove the tire and deliver the wheel to them) A powder coat paint is much more durable and will give better results as well.

Old 07-12-2002, 01:11 AM
Powder coating is the only way to do it . Plus it is very reasonable in price .

Quick Reply: painting stock rims