Who's got 20's?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2002, 10:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Who's got 20's?

Who's got 20's, because I've got questions!

I've had my truck for 2.5 years now and I'm bored with it. The lease is up in December, and I have been considering an L or a Harley edition to replace it - but I don't have the cash flow for that.

So, as a remedy, I've decided to spice up the truck & keep it. To do this, I've decided that I'll start with 20's. I want them. I need them. I must have them - but not until I get some feedback from a few other F150 fanatics.

I've seen many comments about 20's riding harsher & causing loss of power & fuel milage. While I don't care too much about ride, I am deeply concerned with a loss of fuel milage.

I don't think my current milage is bad. Heck, I tihnk it is pretty good for a full size truck. I have NEVER complained about my milage before....however...I have read some posts that warn of a 1 to 2 MPG decrease when 20's were added. This potential loss may keep me from buying these things. I make many frequent trips to Georga and Iowa, and a 2MPG loss would really add up.

So, for those of you who have made this rather expensive purchase, how have your new rims effected your fuel milage? For those who have LOST MPG, what specific rims do you have? What were they made of? And for those of you who have not lost any milage, can you also post the same information?

On a slight tangent, I don't want to lower my truck. Does anyone have pics with a stock height F150 with 20's? Most pics I have seen have slightly lowerd rigs in them. I actually like the look of a BIG rim with big rubber, so I wouldn't be opposed to a 60 series tire (if anyone makes one in this size).

Finally, where would I go to have my odometer corrected for the new tire size? I have a 1999 - can't this be corrected in the computer for this model?

Sorry for the long post - I've been wishy washy lately with this truck and would just like to hear some feedback from somone other than my wife (who thinks I talk about my truck too much.)

Thanks!

Old 06-20-2002, 09:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well for starters, 20s ride rougher, no doubt about that, mostly due to the new tires with smaller side walls. i am running goodyear eagle gtII 275/45/20's and here in Michigan the roads really beat on them. i am constantly finding myself dodging every little crack and bump where as before i would drive over anything and everything, haha.

i have lost mpg, around 1 to 2 mpg. this is because the new tires are shorter in diameter then my old tires, so it takes more revolutions to get the same distance, speed, etc. another factor is the mpg loss is due to the wheel/tire combo weighing more. how much more? that i do not know, all i know is that the new ones made me say WOW.

i am running Zenetti Revo's, 20x9.5 rims. check them out by going to www.zenetti.com

right now i am riding on a stock height suspension. i am not satisfied with the look though. there is too much room between the fender and the tire. i will have a 4/6 inch lowering kit by the end of this month, it's on its way now. sorry no pictures yet, i am lazy and have not loaded them onto the computer. hope this helps! oh another thing, you constantly have to watch out and make sure you dont hit curbs with the 20s due to the smalled side wall of the tires. so now i take corners like my granpa haha!