RT/S Replacements ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2002, 02:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RT/S Replacements ?

I have GY RT/S 265/70 17's and in the rain these tires are just plain dangerous. The slightest acceleration from a stop is nothing but spin, spin, spin with a fish tale thrown in for fun.
What's available that will give good wet and snow traction and a decent tread life.

Old 04-21-2002, 03:22 PM
I swapped my RT/S's out the second day I had my truck . I alway's run BFG all-terrain KO's on all my truck's so this one was'nt any different. The best AT tire in my opinion. They might be a little more $$$ but well worth it. Good look's with the squared off shoulder to them,cool looking white letter's,great traction & good wear (50,000 mile's if you take care of them rotate & keep correct pressure). I run the stock size of 265/70/17 & they look much more aggressive than the stock Goodyear RT/s or AT/S's.

Old 04-21-2002, 09:11 PM
VMF214,

I'm running the same sad tires as you and I totally agree with you on their worthlessness in the rain. Sick, isn't it? The only reason I haven't pulled them yet is that Ford gave me 4 new ones a few months ago to replace 4 out-of-round ones. I've owned several F-150's and have gone with the Michelin LTX M/S on all of them. Tread lasts forever seemingly and wet weather traction was good. And it's nice swingin' out the a$$ end only when you mean to.

I've heard good talk of the BFG's as well, but don't have any experience with them personally.

Clem

Old 04-21-2002, 11:15 PM
I am a believer in BFG Long Trails, if I had the money i would get the AT\KO's but they cost too much. Maybe when my generals run off my new 17" rims I will get those ko's. But I love the LongTrails I had on my 16" rims. BTW I think Coopers are a piece of crap, they last about 10,000 miles and that is it.

Look at other threds this has been discussed a lot rather recently

Old 04-22-2002, 08:23 AM
Thanks for the advise - now for some shopping around.

Old 04-24-2002, 02:11 AM
I replaced my 265 RT/S tires (hockey pucks in the rain) with 275/17 AT/S Goodyears. The difference is night and day.

Though a few people on the boards don't like the AT/S tires. I like'em. A tiny bit more noisy than the RT/S but they have much more aggressive tread, super on snow. No good in mud though, slightly better than RT/S but tread fills up unless you stomp the go pedal.

Old 04-28-2002, 04:39 AM
I agree with the RT/S statement. Every truck I've had I've always traded my RT/S for the AT/S (plus a little cash). I know it sounds stupid but I REALLY like the AT/S. I've never got less than 80,000 usable miles out of them ( I don't run them til tehy're bald). The traction in water seems better than the RT/S.

The company I work for does A LOT of work for Goodyear corp. so I've been lucky at getting great prices on the tires as well.

I have a friend that has the BFG AT and they are really nice tires as well. He gets good wear out of them and good traction. He has a cabin in northern Nebraska that the road is basically a cattle trail and when it rains it becomes a mud pit. He never has trouble with getting in or out. I've never had trouble either.

Hope this helps some.

Quick Reply: RT/S Replacements ?