Brake noise HELP!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2002, 01:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Brake noise HELP!!!!!

I have been asking around for some help. I had a very odd question for you guys. I will try to explain the situation. I took my F150 4x4 ORP Flareside in for inspection and they told me that in no time my front pads would be gone and the rears were at about half way. I should include that a week before, I had my front rotors turned as they were a little warped (wheel shook when I applied the brakes). So I went out of town and while going up and down in the Skyline Drive, my brakes started squeaking and making a droning (low vibration) noise. Anyone with disc brakes knows what I mean (it is like when the brakes are cold or wet and you are barely moving and barely using the brakes, makes that low dragging metal to metal noise). I figured this was because I needed new brakes (excuse my ignorance). Anyways, I took the truck to a Ford dealer and all they had were the "value priced" version of the front pads. He said the only difference between those and the ones I had was the lifetime expectancy and they were still Ford factory parts. I figured to be safe and get me out of trouble, I had them put the pads on. Now I am still hearing some squeaks from my "half used" rear pads, and also whenever I drive the truck on the interstate for long periods (more than 30 miles) it still makes the low noise which is higly embarrasing and annoying. My friend said his old bronco used to do the same thing when he drove it for long trips. The only thing I could find that we have in common is the fact that we had both, at one point in time , had our rotors turned. Could this be the cause of the noise? I would think this all has something to do with heat and the amount of metal on the rotors, but I am by no means an expert. Also, should pads with half left on be squeaking? ANY advise here would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 04-09-2002, 03:34 PM
Some squeeking is normal on semi-metallic brake pads. But i think the problem you had was caused be them turning the rotors and not replacing the pads. The old rotors had grooves and stuff in them and the pads wore in to the rotors, now you have a fresh surface on the rotors but the pads are still grooved and glazed. When ever i turn rotors i replace the pads. Not because the pads are bad but because i know they will be back with a brake noise if i don't.

-Jon

Old 04-10-2002, 01:18 PM
Ford4ever,

Thanks for the reply. I have to agree with you on no replaced pads, but the problem here is I have replaced the front pads (and turned the rotors). You think it could be caused by the fact that there is less metal on the rotors? (I know its a stretch...)

Old 04-10-2002, 03:25 PM
I am currently having the same problem even after I did the same as you. Replaced my brakes and now it pulls to the left. I replaced the brakes because of the sound and figured I only had about 10,000 left on them. Dude at NAPA said F150's are having problems with there calipers. I only have 800 miles till my warrenty is void. Plus the Ford Dealer in Springfield, VA said he would have my truck for a week. I am going to replace the caliper when I have a chance.

Quick Reply: Brake noise HELP!!!!!