Towing with 18" low profile tires??

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2002, 12:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Towing with 18" low profile tires??

I tow a 4500lbs travel trailer and am looking at a set of 18x9.5 Lightning wheels with 285/60R18 tires.The load rating is about the same as stock and overall diameter is within a 1/2". Has anyone done this any are there any problems?
Thanks

Old 03-10-2002, 03:45 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

Obviously, I don't have that setup, but all you really need to watch is the load rating of the tires and the size difference.

Since you say it's only .5" taller, that's not gonna hurt. Basically, Ford only specs "P" rated tires (passenger) anyway, so as long as your total GVW (truck and trailer) is at or under what is "spec'd", you should be fine.

IMO, a 4500 lbs trailer is going to be ok for a "P" rated tire (the max I'd go, howerver....) . As long as that's the actual weight you are towing....... Full of gear, gas, water, passengers, etc..... You'll be ok. And depending on your drivetrain, of course.....

As long as you have at least a 4.6 auto and a 3.55 gear, you should be ok.....

Old 03-11-2002, 12:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've towed a 4500 pound boat / trailer with a 2000 Lightning (obviously having the Lightning wheels) and the stock F1 Goodyears (295-45/18) with no problems - I've also pulled a 20 foot car trailer with a Mustang on it for several hundred miles with no problems to note either.

the rating for the F1 is 1,819 a tire. The truck is about 4700 I think, and the tongue weight is about 150-200 pounds. The load rating I would think is sufficient, but you'll want to check your tires to be sure.

They didn't appear to have any problems with it, the truck is tow rated at 5000 pounds from the factory, so I doubt you would see dramatic problems. When fully inflated, the didn't seem to squat too bad, but I let one get low once and ouch. Don't do that. Hard on the sidewalls.

The only thing I don't like about any of it is having that much trailer without trailer brakes. If yours has brakes, I don't think it shouldn't be a problem...

Quick Reply: Towing with 18" low profile tires??