Go Back   F150online Forums > Powertrain & Mechanical > Wheels, Tires & Brakes
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos Vin Decoder FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor DirectoryGarage

Wheels, Tires & Brakes

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 02-12-2002, 04:50 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1994 Ford Bronco
Question Bonded vs riveted brake shoes

Am getting ready to change out the rear brake shoes on my '94 Bronco. What is the thinking/experience on bonded shoes, which are OE vs riveted brake shoes. One better than the other, or is this just a mind or preference thing??????
Old 02-12-2002, 07:11 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1992 Ford F-150
Send a message via AIM to Ford4ever
I don't thing there is an advantage of one over the other. Bonded would technically lasy longer though since when you get a safety inspection the pads have to be at least 1/32" over the rivets but bonded can be almost metal to metal.

-Jon
Old 02-13-2002, 04:00 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Thumbs up

Jon,

Am going in the direction of riveted, rather than bonded. Talked to some other guys and they told me about bonded brakes actually peeling and flopping around inside the drum. Don't need that occurring on the backside. While replacing the shoes, I am also going to replace the retracting spring and shoe hold down spring. They can get stretched and allow the shoes to lay up against the drum. Thanks for information. By the way, down in the County in which I live in Florida, we don't have any inspections. You can just imagine what is out on the roads. Sometimes scary and very unsafe.
Old 02-17-2002, 05:53 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1992 Ford F-150
Send a message via AIM to Ford4ever
I've never heard of the bonded shoes coming loose but that would be pretty scary. I agree with replacing all the springs and hardware, i've seen hold-down springs break causing the shoes to get wedged up, i've also seen this happen cars with leaky wheel cylinders, it can actually start the break fluid on fire while you drive.

-Jon
Old 03-03-2002, 10:05 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2000 Ford F-150 7700 4x4
Send a message via ICQ to Y2K 7700 4x4
It's a toss.

Rivits that are not properly set will allow the lining to chuck -- eventually elongating the holes and cracking the lining.

If a bonded shoe used 'crappy' glue or improper process control techniques, the lining can indeed peel off.

In either case, a thin enough slice of either can wedge and lock the wheel -- but that is a very rare situation.

Choose new lining from a manufacture whose name is recognizable and you're likely never to have any trouble.

Toreador Red, Keyless XLT SC SB 5.4L E4x4 4wDisc/ABS, 3.73LS, Skid, HD 7700# Towing, LT-245's on Chrome, Tube-Steps, Captain's, 6CD, Tonneau, named: "Nick"
Old 03-04-2002, 05:10 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Appreciate the info Y2K !!

Put on some new riveted shoes from NAPA along with springs a couple of weeks ago. So far, so good. I am not hard on brakes, so hope to get some reasonable life out of them.
Old 03-05-2002, 10:20 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Ive run both on the street & in racing applications, I prefer bonded but there is really no diff as long as the builder is a good name (ps...avoid Raybestos, I have personally had poor luck and service from them)

Old 03-05-2002, 10:20 PM