Bridgestone Dueler AT

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2002, 10:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bridgestone Dueler AT

After hearing rave reviews from owners I ordered these in 265/70-17 (stock ORP wheels). The tread pattern looks fairly aggressive, but not very deep. How can these tires be that great in snow and slop when they look like they are already 1/4 worn out? Now I just read a post the BFG is coming out with a 285/70-17! Now I wish I almost wish I would have waited!!

Old 01-18-2002, 11:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The tread depth on my Dueler AT's was just as deep as nearly all of its competitors in my size (The one exception I can think of was Dunlop - can't remember the exact tire). They arrived new with 12/32 of tread depth. The tread pattern is not nearly as agressive looking as many of its competitors. As a result, I tell people if they want an agressive looking tire, this may not be the best choice.

Tread depth aside, my tires have performed well. I put them on back in June and have logged over 20,000 miles on them to date. Traction is very good in dry and rainy conditions. They have done well in snow and ice conditions so far this winter. Off road performance has been fine, although they did pack up a bit in one muddy situation I was in on a construction site. Of course, if that was my primary concern, I'd have mud tires on the truck. I know quite a few pople up here who swear by them, and that s how they found their way onto my truck. If they can survive and do well in the winter snow here in MN, then I would assume they should be fine in IN too.

If your concerned about the tread depth, measure the depth. Do a little research and see what tires in the same size by competitors offer. www.tirerack.com is a good resource to start with. That should either reassure you or make you less happy, but at least you'd know!

I checked over at tirerack, and found that comparable tires had anywhere from 12/32 of depth (Michelins), 13/32 on the Duelers, to 17/32 on the Goodyear AT/S - LT tires. The AT/S in a Passenger tire has 13/32 of tread depth.

Last edited by gopher; 01-18-2002 at 11:14 AM.

Quick Reply: Bridgestone Dueler AT