How hot is too hot, front wheels, hubs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 04:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How hot is too hot, front wheels, hubs?

99 f150 2wd, replaced sticky caliper, but wheels read 165 degrees after 7 miles. Do I still have a problem?

Old 09-02-2015, 08:04 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
7 miles of what? stop and go? or cruising?

Old 09-03-2015, 04:06 PM
Originally Posted by Roadie
7 miles of what? stop and go? or cruising?
mixed driving mostly cruising

Old 09-03-2015, 04:21 PM
If the outside of your wheels in the center is that hot, yes it's too hot. The flexible hoses could be the cause. I've heard the inside swells up when the brake is applied and shrinks when the pressure is released and can cause this problem. The spring in the master cylinder pulls the piston back when the brake pedal is released and the vacuum caused by the piston being pulled back pulls the caliper cylinder away from the disc. The hoses can cause the brakes to stick. The calipers can be sticking due to the cylinders or it may not be sliding like it should. Or the spring in the MC could be weak.

Old 09-03-2015, 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by Roadie
If the outside of your wheels in the center is that hot, yes it's too hot. The flexible hoses could be the cause. I've heard the inside swells up when the brake is applied and shrinks when the pressure is released and can cause this problem. The spring in the master cylinder pulls the piston back when the brake pedal is released and the vacuum caused by the piston being pulled back pulls the caliper cylinder away from the disc. The hoses can cause the brakes to stick. The calipers can be sticking due to the cylinders or it may not be sliding like it should. Or the spring in the MC could be weak.
thanks for the reply,both flexibile hoses have been replaced along with a caliper and the pad sliders,wheel bearings are smooth and quiet, guess i may be looking at replacing the master cylinder next.

Old 09-03-2015, 05:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

I am just curious on what you used to get the temperature?
And what part of the wheel you took the reading from? Or was it from the hub?

I can't see where your from either, how hot is it outside where your at when you took it?

Old 09-03-2015, 08:01 PM
Originally Posted by lestro
thanks for the reply,both flexibile hoses have been replaced along with a caliper and the pad sliders,wheel bearings are smooth and quiet, guess i may be looking at replacing the master cylinder next.
I just replaced my MC yesterday (along with the calipers) and it was a bear to bench bleed it. It took a good while using the technique in the directions. I bought an Autozone MC. It fit fine and seems to be working okay too. I don't know that my old one was bad but I've been fighting dragging brakes too.

Quick Reply: How hot is too hot, front wheels, hubs?