Another DuraTrac Thread (Wrangler DT vs Silent Armor)

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 06:29 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Another DuraTrac Thread (Wrangler DT vs Silent Armor)

Guys, I found only one post where the DuraTrac and SilentArmor tires were mentioned together, and I'm trying to decide between them.

TIRE FACTS:
Goodyear's PRODUCT PAGE rates the SilentArmor tires as follows:

Dry Traction...............9
Wet Traction..............9
Snow Traction...........10
Off-Road Traction........8
Quiet Ride..................8
50,000-mile warranty

Price from local dealer (installed) - $1074 less a $160 GY rebate = $914

The DuraTrac PRODUCT PAGE shows the folowing:

Dry Traction...............8
Wet Traction..............8
Snow Traction..........10
Off-Road Traction.......9
Quiet Ride.................6
NO mileage warranty

Price from local dealer (installed) - $1117 less an $80 GY rebate = $1037

TRUCK
1999 F150 Lariat - 4WD

CURRENT RUBBER
Goodyear Wrangler AT/S

APPLICATION/USE INFO
The truck is used for winter transportation in N.E. Ohio, so snow traction is a factor. For other three seasons, it is used mainly for hauling and for towing our 4500# T/T. I have another vehicle that is typically used for long highway trips, but some of our camping trips are 4+ hours so I don't want too much tire noise. (For comparison: I had a set of BFG AT KO's on my Ranger and they were acceptable.) Also, there is a possibility I may be selling the other vehicle, so this would become a D/D for all types of transportation. There is little real "off-road" use at this time, BUT that could change with a possible move to Colorado in the next year or so.

The current tires are probably just below 50% tread, and are starting to get squirrley in wet/cold or very-cold/dry conditions. This said, they seem to have no real problem getting up my driveway (quite a grade) in moderate fresh or packed snow, but overall snow traction has diminished greatly, as well. Wear has not been what I would call stellar. They were nearly new when I purchased the truck 3 years ago, and have only ~15,000 miles on them since.

I was thinking of pushing the current tires through this winter, and they could then easily make it to next fall, but the pricing above seems like a good deal on either one of them now, and I'd have my security back for the remainder of winter.

Similarities
Both tires are LT-rated
Both Tires are "snowflake/mountain" rated

DuraTrac Pros:
- More aggressive tread may handle various winter conditions better, and will definitely be better off-road if employed that way in the future.
- Love the look of these tires.
- "Commercial Off-Road" class may mean they are more durable?

DuraTrac Cons:

- ~14% More expensive
- Probably more road noise
- No tread-wear warranty (not really a big factor, as most TW warranties are worthless anyway)
- Some reviewers state less on-road stability.

SilentArmor Pros:
- $123 less expensive
- Quieter ride (probably)
- 50K-mile warranty (how much of a pro?)

SilentArmor Cons:
- Maybe not as good in all winter conditions
- Not as "aggressive" in appearance

Looking for recommendations and experiences for consideration.

Thanks in advance.

Andy

Last edited by OhioLariat; 01-21-2011 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Corrected prices
Old 01-20-2011, 06:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the silent armours.

They are awesome in winter conditions. On glare ice (roads, lakes and rivers) they grip pretty good. I run a lot of snow covered roads/farm back roads/snow covered highways and these tires are almost as good as a dedicated winter tire. On gravel they are really good. Dont wear or round off like most other tires. On the highway they are pretty quiet and ride decent.

Either tire will be good. The silent armours aren't as aggressive looking but make up for it in traction.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:39 PM

Thanks, snopro. Good to know they work well in MB. You folks get just a little snow up there IIRC.

Looking at the Goodyear site a bit more, it looks like the SA's might have one more advantage:

WRANGLER UTILITY PACKAGE

FREE ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE PROGRAM.†
Goodyear has you covered with emergency roadside tire service. In the event of a flat tire, you can call 1-800-999-9460 and a qualified service professional will replace your flat tire with your inflated spare tire. Roadside assistance is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year in the U.S. and Canada, for two years after the date of purchase of your tires.

FREE OFF-ROAD ASSISTANCE PROGRAM.†
When you purchase Wrangler® featuring SilentArmor Technology™ tires, you are also eligible for the Free Off-Road Assistance Program. If you ever find yourself stranded in difficult terrain such as mud, snow, sand or ice, off-road towing (winch out) will be provided. This towing service will depend solely upon safe tow truck access to the vehicle location, as determined by the tow provider.

There is also a 30-Day "trial period" with the SA's.
With the DuraTracs, it sounds like "you bought 'em, you got'em" with no warranty, no nothing.

Hmmmmmm.... they sure do look good, tho.

Andy

Old 01-20-2011, 08:24 PM
Originally Posted by OhioLariat
Thanks, snopro. Good to know they work well in MB. You folks get just a little snow up there IIRC.

Looking at the Goodyear site a bit more, it looks like the SA's might have one more advantage:

WRANGLER UTILITY PACKAGE

FREE ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE PROGRAM.†
Goodyear has you covered with emergency roadside tire service. In the event of a flat tire, you can call 1-800-999-9460 and a qualified service professional will replace your flat tire with your inflated spare tire. Roadside assistance is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year in the U.S. and Canada, for two years after the date of purchase of your tires.

FREE OFF-ROAD ASSISTANCE PROGRAM.†
When you purchase Wrangler® featuring SilentArmor Technology™ tires, you are also eligible for the Free Off-Road Assistance Program. If you ever find yourself stranded in difficult terrain such as mud, snow, sand or ice, off-road towing (winch out) will be provided. This towing service will depend solely upon safe tow truck access to the vehicle location, as determined by the tow provider.

There is also a 30-Day "trial period" with the SA's.
With the DuraTracs, it sounds like "you bought 'em, you got'em" with no warranty, no nothing.

Hmmmmmm.... they sure do look good, tho.

Andy
The SA's dont look half bad. But then I didn't buy them for looks. I needed a tire that was good in the winter on the highway and on the farm roads. Plus with the gravel I drive I needed a tire that would hold up to it.

Name:  IMG_4642.jpg
Views: 2356
Size:  139.9 KB

Old 01-20-2011, 11:03 PM
I just put a set of SA's on a 9 days ago. I'm in the Detroit area and we get just a wee bit of snow too. The SA's are quiet on the road a perform "as advertised" in snow. Nuff said?

HYPO

Old 01-21-2011, 04:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the SAs for around 75,000 miles.

Hands down one of the best tires I've ever owned. Performed way better then expected, never left me stuck, and had a great ride on the freeway.

Old 01-21-2011, 06:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really don't think you can go wrong either way. Both were on my hit list and ended up with Duratrac's, mainly for the looks. I'm getting great mileage out of them so far. Therefore, I wouldn't worry about warranty (but I did pick up Discount Tire warranty). If appearance wasn't a big factor I probably would go a different direction all together. I would agree they are noiser on the highway, but closer to an AT than a MT. Compared to BFG's, they are a tad quieter. I do alot of highway driving and only hear the hum when either radio is off or a window is down.

Regarding the floating of these tires, that will happen if not properly inflated. I went from 20" Pirelli's to the DT's and I actually had to pay more attention to the steering, meaning, when I slightly turned the steering wheel, the truck went that direction. So there was much less floating compared to Pirelli road tires.

Note - your info shows that the Duratrac's are actually cheaper

Trending Topics

Old 01-21-2011, 09:58 AM
Ive had the Duratracs for almost 3 years now and its been a great tire. The last oil change at Ford, the service sheet still listed the tread depth at 18/32nd. Mind you I dont put alot of highway miles on mostly bush but when I am on the highway I have over 600 pounds in the bed (2-3 MX bikes and gear).
My brother has the SA's on his Bell work van and said they are a great tire too, so between the 2 is probably just how agressive you want.
Ive been very pleased with the Duratracs. I have hardly needed 4x4 in the winter with them and are great offroad. Theyve performed just as well as an MT and handle gravel far better than anything ive used

IMHO they blow away the BFG AT's

Old 01-21-2011, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Stormsearch
Note - your info shows that the Duratrac's are actually cheaper
Thanks for noting this, Stormsearch. Fix'd.

Originally Posted by Shifty219
Ive had the Duratracs for almost 3 years now and its been a great tire.
Shifty, I thought the DT's came out in 2009?

Thanks for all the feedback, guys. Like Stormsearch said above, it really sounds like I can't go wrong with either one.

I got to looking around online last night some more, and looked at pics of the DT's on various vehicles. I'm thinking maybe they have a bit more aggressive look on the truck than I'm really after. I guess I need to think about how likely off-roading will be in the near future. That seems to be the deciding factor, really. At this point, I'm leaning more and more toward the SA's.

If anyone has pics of either tire on my body style, that would be great. (Might be harder to visualize with the 04+ bigger rims, but post those up too, if you want!)

Name:  2010-07-16_14-54-40_410.jpg
Views: 1603
Size:  122.6 KB
(Note: The tires currently on are only 265's)

... And keep the comments coming. I haven't fully decided yet, and there may be other folks who want to know more!

Thanks again,

Andy

Last edited by OhioLariat; 01-21-2011 at 10:44 AM.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:38 AM
Hmmmm Now you got me thinking of when i got them Could be now, I know I had to wait a month to get them

Old 01-21-2011, 02:50 PM
Former Sponsor
Comparing the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor all terrains to the Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac Commercial on/off road tires is not a fair comparison. The DuraTrac tires do have a much more aggressive tread pattern to them and will have much more noise to them over the Silent Armor tires. They will also wear quicker due to the larger tread blocks over the Silent Armor's. If you were to drive on them side by side you would notice that there is a big difference between the 2 tires.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:46 AM
man....look at the DT's side wall...thats nice looking. but its not like a "MUDDER" tire. how do they ride tho? i heard rumours of the sidewall being REALLY thin so they flex like no other on turns(heard this) anyone got a "road report"?

Old 01-22-2011, 02:31 PM
They ride just as good as my stock AT's did, only a little howl on the highway but thats with the radio off and windows down looking for noise.
There is no flex at all in them, they are a very thick tire, Ive towed a 8500 lbs trailer and never felt them want to roll

Old 01-22-2011, 03:28 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm just being curious as I know opinions and what an individual wants in a tire vary's and vary's greatly, but why doesn't anyone ever consider the Wrangler MTRw/Kevlar?? That asymmetric tread design literally gives you the best tire for almost all occasions and arguably could be GY's most advanced (truck) tire right now. The DT is just too middle of the road. The SA is obviously a great looking AT tire and is an awesome performer, but if you want aggressive why not step up? The MTR has extremely great on road manners for a tire this aggressive and still performs everywhere else. Just curious is all.

Old 01-22-2011, 04:01 PM
for the price on a dd its not worth it. it is an off road tire. unless your house is in the desert then its a good tire. i think ive decided on the DuraTracs. i've always liked the look of them and the fact that they are a hybrid tire. an all terrain with a mud terrain side wall. read that in an off road magazine. if your looking for a good off road tire then go with the mt/rs. but a good a/t is the duratracs and if your doing snow then i would say that tire. cause its better to have the added off road traction then not to have it.

Quick Reply: Another DuraTrac Thread (Wrangler DT vs Silent Armor)