Braking Power

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 11:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Braking Power

I know my comparison is apples to oranges, but humor me anyway. I have an 06 EB Expy with what I believe are the OEM pads. It feels like I really need to lay into the brake pedal to stop the vehicle. Even my old lady commented today that it took "a lot of force to stop it". Now I realize the other cars we drive are a BMW and a G35, thus the apples and oranges, but the difference is so bad when I get in those cars or any other car really I apply the brakes so hard the first few times that I about throw the passengers through the windshield.

So I guess my question here is this typical of Expy's and Ford trucks or is something else up? Vacuum hoses appear to be in good condition and brakes were bled a year ago. Maybe I just need some pads with more bite (a lot more).

The brakes do work great and reliably as tested in the Virginia mountains towing my race car to the track through some steep grades, but it just takes more quadricep power than I would expect to do so.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:41 AM
I've experienced that the F150 has a bit more travel before it begins to bite (compared to other vehicles, especially cars)... But once I get into the 'grip' area it brings the truck to a stop with ease. This was true even when I had stock rotors. My trouble was with warping, not stopping power.

Check the fluid again just to make sure it's at a good level (at least half way up from Max to Min). Try a different pad, like Hawk's LTS or even SuperDuty pad to see if that makes a difference. Braided SS brake lines might help with firmness and response, but if you're really having problems it might be indicative of a master cylinder issue. My $0.02.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:55 PM
I'd go with new pads... I noticed a better grab when I put the Wagner TQ's on my truck.

Do a good bleed too when you put the pads on... this should help with a soft pedal.

Old 05-14-2010, 01:04 PM
Originally Posted by mayhemj30
... Vacuum hoses appear to be in good condition and brakes were bled a year ago...
Originally Posted by mkosu04
... Do a good bleed too when you put the pads on...
The OP said the brakes were bled somewhat recently, but I agree a new bleed may be in order, just to make sure. "Speed Bleeder" screws really help to make sure you don't get any air coming back into the line; and makes it a lot easier if your helper (wife/gf) can't follow directions very well, like a woman. If it's never been done before, bleeding the fluid all the way through for a full flush may also help.

Old 05-14-2010, 04:57 PM
I use a pressurized bleeder system so the job can be done with one person and without the speed bleeders. Because there's little play in the pedal before brakes start to engage when depressed I don't think there's air in the lines, but like you side it never hurts to bleed some more. I'm starting to lean towards it being a combo of master cylinder psi output and overall low brake torque designed into the system. I need to drive another Expy to verify though...

Old 05-14-2010, 05:04 PM
Originally Posted by mayhemj30
... I'm starting to lean towards it being a combo of master cylinder psi output and overall low brake torque designed into the system. I need to drive another Expy to verify though...
Yeah, these brakes were designed for the F150 really, not the heavier Expy. But then again, they were also designed to stop a big trailer, so...

Quick Reply: Braking Power