Go Back   F150online Forums > Powertrain & Mechanical > Wheels, Tires & Brakes
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos Vin Decoder FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor DirectoryGarage

Wheels, Tires & Brakes

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 02-06-2008, 07:16 PM
2004 Ford F-150 SuperCrew

Vehicle: 2004 Ford F-150
Best tires for 2004 Lariat

Hello. I am new to this site but not message boards. I have a 2004 Lariat F-150 Super Crew 4x4. I use the truck for driving to and from my hunting area. We have a gravel road to the cabin so I really never even take it off road. The 4x4 is used pretty much only for snow. I live in Wisconsin so I do need tires that are good in snow. I have 49,000 miles on it and I am looking to replace the BF Goodrich Rugged Trail tires. I have NOT liked them at all. 2 were replaced at 20,000 miles because of a recall. I just don't have any real traction in wet weather and the rubber seems to have gotten hard and slick.

So I am looking for the best mileage tires I can get on this truck. I have the .3.73 Limited Slip gear ratio and 275/65 R18 on it now. What size can I go to and get the best mileage? I know if I change tire size I will have to fix the speedometer. I do NOT want to lift or alter the truck in any other way. Just looking to get the best mileage for highway driving and still keep the ride the way it is.

Yes I know the truck is capable of much more and I got it so that if I ever want to do something I can. The biggest load I ever really pull is a 3500 pound boat but that is not much.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:18 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 5.7
Send a message via Yahoo to risupercrewman
Last fall I installed New BFG's All Terrain 285x70x17's, absolutely love Em!........
Old 02-06-2008, 07:50 PM
1994 Ford F-250

Vehicle: 2004 Ford F-150
i would look into goodyear silent armors. they are a world better then the BFG AT in snow. i had the BFGs last winter and they wernt as good in the snow as they advertise. the silent armors live up to all the claims they make. they are silent on the free way and can go just about anywhere. i have used 4x4 once this winter to pull someone out. the rest was 2wd and i never got stuck. plus they are around 200 cheaper then the BFG with a better guarentee

"Half the ability to get the job done is not being afraid to try. 90% of the time you wont screw it up any worse then it already is"
Old 02-06-2008, 07:51 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2005 ford Expedition
I agree. I'd go with the 285/65-18 BFG AT KO's. You can easily get 60,000 miles out of them.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:51 PM