Beware - TPMS Gotcha's on Aftermarket Tires!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 09:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Beware - TPMS Gotcha's on Aftermarket Tires!

I just bought a new 2007 F-150, and because I immediately changed the stock tires and wheels (at the dealership!), I ran into TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system) problems on the very first day!

TPMS was mandated by the federal government back in 2005, even though it doesn’t go into full effect until September 2007. Due to the Explorer/Firestone disaster a few years ago, Ford seems to be particularly sensitive to this new law and is getting up to speed in compliance. Because TPMS has already caused me problems, I’ve done a little research. It seems that in a couple of years when the market is flooded with TPMS equipped vehicles, this is going to be a real headache for everyone. Another government screw up!

Under the law, vehicle manufacturers are required to certify the sensors for the OEM tires and wheels. For liability reasons, the dealers therefore won't warranty the system for any other tire. This also has all the tire makers and aftermarket dealers in a predicament (and they’re suing the government). If they sell you a different brand or size tire than what came on your TPMS equipped vehicle, they could be held liable for any accidents in which your TPMS did not give you accurate information. These apparently are pretty complicated devices that must account for speed, temperature and time in addition to pressure. That is why they are calibrated and certified to a particular tire/wheel combination. I imagine car dealerships will start requiring customers to sign waivers for installation of non-standard tires.

Third party tire dealers are also concerned over being held responsible for damage to the sensors during tire changes or service. Apparently some of the mounting and balancing systems in use are not compatible with the sensors. Here are some interesting links from the TIA and NHTSA:

http://www.tireindustry.org/governme...s_comments.asp
http://www.tireindustry.org/pdf/TPMS_FinalRule_v3.pdf

I’d be interested to see what other problems folks are running into. And Americans, please be responsible for your own tire pressure! Why let the government do it for you, at great cost to manufacturers, resellers, consumers, and all taxpayers?

Old 01-23-2007, 11:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow. Now thats some interesting info.

Quick Reply: Beware - TPMS Gotcha's on Aftermarket Tires!