Go Back   F150online Forums > Powertrain & Mechanical > Wheels, Tires & Brakes
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos Vin Decoder FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor DirectoryGarage

Wheels, Tires & Brakes

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 02-28-2006, 06:53 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1998 Ford F150
Emergency Brake Hung Up

I have a 98 F-150 and I have had a problem with the ABS and the brake light staying on for the past couple weeks, but the brakes have been working fine. Well, today I parked the truck on a pretty steep incline, so I put on the emergency brake and went on my way. When I returned, I get in the truck, start it and release the brake as usual with no problems. I put the truck in drive and step on the gas and the rear drivers side tire seems locked up, as if the brake did not release. I put the e brake pedal down again and released it and still have the same problem. Any ideas as to what the problem could be or where to start looking would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-01-2006, 03:00 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2000 Ford F-150
Send a message via AIM to GIJoeCam Send a message via Yahoo to GIJoeCam
Seldom-used parking brakes tend to do that. It's more than likely a parking brake cable is getting sticky as they tend to gum up. It also could be the linkage inside the drum(s). Time to yank the wheels and drums off and see what's happening in there. Give all the e-brake cables a shot of lube periodically, and most importantly, USE THE PARKING BRAKE OFTEN. That keeps everything free and moving.

-Joe

98 Explorer bone-stock (Lemon Law Case in Progress)

Photo Gallery Here

I'm not smart, just a resourceful idiot with some spare time.
Old 03-04-2006, 05:07 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2000 Ford F-150
My question is, do you have disc rear brakes? If so, I'm doing mine again so I can offer alot of help. I really haven't had any cars with drum rear brakes so I cannot offer much help. In any case, remove everything, replace whatever and anti-sieze the hell out of problem areas that have siezed. Like the guy before said, use the brakes often and this problem will be delayed quite a bit. I also from time to time check that the've released properly so I'm not driving with them on all the time.
Old 03-04-2006, 05:07 PM