Re-tire?..."that is the question."

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 10:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re-tire?..."that is the question."

I took my 2004 FX4 into the dealer Monday to have an array of warranty issues addressed before the 36K mark. My most concerning issue being the steering wheel/ nibble/ vibration. I have mentioned this concerning problem several times in previous visits with nothing being resolved. As everyone probably on this board knows, this issue has been discussed in length and i've read several threads in the past about it. What I don't know is if anything has been discovered in light to this issue in the past 6 months that I have possibly missed out on. Any info would be appreciated. I'm concerned now because the nibble is still there and 36 is just around the corner.

I took a long ride with the service adviser Monday to let him see and feel the vibe in the wheel and seats. He recognized it as soon as we hit a cruzing speed of 75. "Just like he's already been down that road." He said that he could RFB the tires and bla bla bla. Well...he called me back Wednesday with the results. According the the RFB, I had one tire that would not balance...this being one bad tire. He said he could pro-rate the tire since my tread is down from 12/32 to 7/32 and I would pay $100 some odd bucks. The problem here is that the new tire would be larger than the other three and would in other words...not work. So he offerd to put the bad tire on the back ...he would then test drive to see that everything was alright and then call me in the morning to pick it up... (assuming that I would buy new tires soon). Haven't heard from them yet.

I guess my question here is...should I settle for this? I've heard of guys having all four tires replaced, drive shafts, rear ends, steering columns, etc.
Any new info regarding this issue would be greatly appreciated! Give me some amo here guys. ...Thankyou

Old 12-17-2005, 07:02 PM
No input yet?.... Come on guys...help me out here. This forum has always had helpful discussion in the past. Maybe i'm on the wrong board. ...or a bad subject.

Old 12-18-2005, 11:18 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If the dealer replaces just that one tire it will work. I believe that is just too small of a difference to have any negative effects on the driveline. Now if you have had the "nibble" since you've had the truck and they have failed to help out until it's time to get new tires, remind them that you've been in for this before and you feel you should get new tires. Its not your fault they could/would not diagnose it until your tires were almost gone. I had 2 bad Generals on my 05 and my dealer replaced them no problem and no money out of my pocket.

Old 12-20-2005, 06:34 PM
Thanks for the input ian51279. Yes, I've had the nibble on and off from the beginning and this is the first attempt to correct anything other than a tire balance once before(which I had to pay for). It was overlooked in previous visits. The service manager put the bad tire on the back this time after RFBalancing all 4 tires and basically told me to live with it until I buy new tires.

Quick Reply: Re-tire?..."that is the question."