Another wheel/tire question ('06)

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 09:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another wheel/tire question ('06)

First, this forum is a great tool for learning. Thanks to all who offer their opinions and expertise. I already will be dealing with Troyer for a new chip once I pay off some xmas bills and hopefully get a little cash to spend. But on to my question....

I have a 06 F150 SuperCab 4x4 5.4 with 17 inch wheels and the "optional" 255/70x17 tires on what I think ford calls their "17 inch mach alum w/paint accent" wheels.

I would like a more aggressive off road pattern as well as a larger tire for more clearance. I plan on a 2.5 inch or 3 inch leveling kit for now, and that's about it.

I've read on here several times to get the 285 BFGs on stock rims, but my "tire guy" said that the BFGs are too wide for those wheels and would wear unevenly. After looking through a few off-road magazines, I noticed that several companies are selling 17x9 inch rims (stock size?) and it was sometimes hard to find a larger wheel that fit (ie 17x10 inch).

MY question is: What is a reasonable max tire size on my stock rims with a leveling kit? I don't want rubbing, and I don't want them to wear weirdly or explode.

J

Old 12-20-2005, 03:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few members are running 33's on the stock wheel without a leveling kit with no problems. Some have a leveling kit and or a lift kit and are running 35's with some minor trim. All in All I have read no complaints from anyone running on the factory wheel. The concern is that the tire will wear faster due to cuping. I have the TOYO mud terrain on my factory wheel and they are rated for a minimum 8.5 inch wide rim. well, my rim is only 7.5 so i figure 1/2 inch on each side should not be a problem. They installed them on my wheel and another member has over 8000 miles on his 33's on his OEM wheel without problems. I probably will stick to 33 on the factory wheel and if I got 35's I would go to an aftermarket rim. BE CAREFUL with backspacing. I learned the hard way. I purchased the wheels I wanted and didn't check, the backspacing made the wheel and tire stick out and on turns it would rub on the body pretty hard and annoying. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Old 12-20-2005, 10:42 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The 285/70-17 BFG's are the perfect size for your stock 17x7.5 inch wheels, I don't know what your tire guy is thinking. Check BFG's website and show him. Also, just to let you know. Sometime during the 05 model year, Ford changed their brake calipers. THis is causing fitment problems with some aftermarket 17 inch wheels. If you get 17's, just be sure to test fit the wheels before you start mounting tires. Also, all of the 17x10 inch wheels that I've seen in the 6x135mm bolt pattern don't have enough backspacing and this causes the tires to stick way outside the wheelwells.

Quick Reply: Another wheel/tire question ('06)