Random ABS Warning Light

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 10:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Random ABS Warning Light

My 1999 F-150 XLT Supercab has recently been plagued by a random ABS problem. While it has only happened a few times, what happens is the ABS warning light comes on while braking, then stays on steadily. When I switch the engine off and restart, the problem goes away--the light stays off. Furthermore, the problem will not reappear for several weeks.

When this first happened, I topped off the brake fluid reservoir and that seemed to fix things. Then, a couple of weeks later, it happened all over again. This time, I replaced the front pads which were pretty worn, completely bled the brake system, and inspected the rear brakes which were fine. At about the same time, I also replaced the battery and one of the battery terminal clamps. Since that time, the ABS has not come on. That is until a few days ago when it happened all over again. As previous, the light stayed off after I switched off and restarted.

So far, I cannot duplicate the problem. Any clues as to what might be causing this?

Peter Blaise

Old 12-04-2005, 10:48 PM
Most likely the ABS sensor installed on the rear end, in the pumkin. Cheap and easy to replace yourself.

Old 12-04-2005, 11:11 PM
i had the same problem and i just replaced the abs sensor in the rear dif. i actually went right to ford and they were cheapest on the part which took all of 10 minutes to install.

Old 12-17-2005, 12:05 PM
same truck...same problem...it was my abs sensor...replace it yourself cheap and easy.

Quick Reply: Random ABS Warning Light