Brakes pedal feels too soft (spongy)

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 07:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brakes pedal feels too soft (spongy)

I recently changed the front rotors and pads, and today i changed the rear brake shoes and drums. I still am having the same problem," at least I think its a problem. " I press on the brakes and it feels spongy, like i am almost pressing too the floor to stop my truck. It does stop, but it's not touchy like most vehicles. Is this standard for this truck, is there something wrong. my truck has abs system and doesn't feel anything like my car that is equipt with the same. I have no fluid or air leaks that I Know of. My vehicle is a 97 4wd . Do you think my master cylinder is gone. Any suggestions would help. Thank you

Old 12-01-2005, 03:05 PM
My breakpedal feels kind of spongy too.
But it stops without any problem.

I am also curious about the ABS system.
This week the first ice and snow came, and I have been trying the brakes.
On most european cars with ABS the pedal starts to counterpress/shake when the front wheels are locking, but I have not felt that in my truck.

F150 -98 4.6l

Last edited by F150_Sweden; 12-01-2005 at 03:07 PM.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:03 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
One thing that makes brakes spongey are old brake hoses they become soft and expand a little as the pressure increases, at that age it would not hurt to replace the hoses. Also many times if youre calipers have phenolic pistons (plastic looking) they will have a softer pedal. I would replace those hoses and completly flush the brake fluid and see if you have improved the pedal feel.

Old 12-02-2005, 08:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I bought my truck with 37K miles, the previous owner had just put new brakes on it. The pedal was spongy but the truck stopped, just as you describe. I bought a bottle of brake fluid and completely bled the brakes, changing out all the old, nasty, black brake fluid and bleeding until I had clean fluid in the resovoir all the way to all four bleeder valves. After that the brake pedal was solid and braking was much better.

I've never had to change a brake line in my life. My old '94 Ranger with 143K miles has excellent brake pedal feel with no sponge or fade and it has the original brake lines and original master cylinder. The brake fluid gets changed every year or two though.

Last edited by RockyJSquirrel; 12-02-2005 at 08:26 PM.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:02 PM
bleed the system

I know even i dont, but the real way your suposed to change the pads and rotors is to bleed the sytem as well. Bleed the system if it still happens and you dont see a leak, one of your pistons in your master cylinder could have failed and your secondary piston is trying to stop the whole truck.

Old 12-03-2005, 11:04 PM
Just had a simlar problem with my 93 ,real spongy pedal barely stopped truck, after a master cylinder change and a few brake lines later,same thing .Bled system 3x and still ng.Turned out the rear drum brakes were totally out of adjustment,tightened them up and nice high pedal stops on a dime,good for another 96k.

Quick Reply: Brakes pedal feels too soft (spongy)