Load range and performance

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 09:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Load range and performance

Will a tire's load range/ply have any impact on traction performance in wet or snow/icy conditions?

Old 11-05-2005, 10:49 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
On traction, no. Traction is determined by tread pattern and rubber compound. On performance, possibly. Higher load ranges do not flex in the sidewall as much, which may help cornering.
Also the heavier the load range, more than likely the rougher the ride.
I have used LR C, D, and E tires on different F-150s, and find the the LR E tires, are just a bit much for that truck. IMHO. Others may like the stiffer ride. I have found in general that the LR C, seems tob be about the best compromise between ride and firmness for an F-150.

Old 11-06-2005, 07:11 PM
I like Load Range E myself, but I ride on lots of potholes and bad roads in Alaska. The Load Range itself doesn't determine how rough the ride is, but rather how highly you inflate the tire. The new Load Range E studded snow tires I bought can be inflated to 80 psi, but I run em at 50 psi. It all depends. IMHO, Half ton pickups should come standard with Load Range C minimum. Passenger tires are JUNK.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 11-06-2005, 10:06 PM
A lot of us drive extreamly different, that's why so many diffrent tires. I personaly agree with Alaska FX4 because that is the type driving I do.

Old 11-07-2005, 08:49 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'm looking to replace my the Firestone Wilderness AT that were on the truck when I bought it. They haven't been a bad tire but are getting worn down and old. The C range seems rather soft to me so I would like to go with a D but not many tires have that option. I will admit that I think a truck should ride like a truck. Based on brands I can get locally and a lot of internet research, I'm looking at the following possibilities:
BFG All terrain (D range); $165 each
General Grabber AT2 (E range); haven't priced
Mastercraft Courser CT (E range); haven't priced

At one time I had considered the Yokoham Geolander AT but after reading a number of reviews, there were many more bad opinions than good.

Quick Reply: Load range and performance