Stock Continental Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 03:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock Continental Problems

Have a 2005 Expy with 8,000 miles on the clock. It has stock Continental tires. I had a flat on one and had to replace it due to a puncture. The other three have been replaced at various times by the dealer due to cupping and vibration.

Last time it was in for service, they adjusted the alignment and it's been better. But now it's shaking again. Two more tires were ordered today under warranty!

I asked the SM if Ford's MO was to keep changing tires and hope the problem goes away or if they would change all tires for a different brand. He said they are seeing this problem on many of the trucks and only on Continental tires. Said Ford will not allow them to install any other tire brand.

Is anyone else seeing this problem?

I'm glad this Expy is a lease. In two more years I can turn it in with new tires curtosy of Ford!

Old 10-05-2005, 03:49 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I have the Continentals on my truck. They have very small balancing weights and I have never had a vibration. The smoothest vehicle I have ever owned. I have read about all the problems, just thankful mine have been good.

Old 10-05-2005, 03:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The performance of the ones on my Expy sucked also. The 305/45-22 Falkens I replaced them with perform much, much better.

Old 10-05-2005, 06:25 PM
it seems like these tires are magnets for nails and just about anything. I've had 3 flats on these tires doing normal driving. two of which had to be replaced because of punctures in the sidewall...

maybe once my rims are on i can get a better feel for how this truck can ride...

Old 10-06-2005, 10:20 PM
Continental garbage

When I bought my truck I specificly wanted the michelin tyres. I'm glad I did. Allthough they lasted an amazing 23K miles they weren't bad.. as long as you never left the road. I replaced them with Yokohama Geolander HT-S 265/70R17 and they are a million times better. The ride couldn't be better and it is much more difficult to light them up in the rain or off road. Go yoko!

Old 10-10-2005, 12:46 PM
Continentals are truely POS IMO. They came stock on my wife's 2002 LS. Around 29K they started cupping and wearing unevenly. Replaced them with BF Goodrich Traction T/A and what a difference they made in the ride and handling. Ford is just trying to cut costs and increase profit by use of lower quality tires. My brother just got a new 05 F-250 4X4 for work. He had the dealer change the tires from the stock Pirelli's to BF Goodrich A/T's. Of course it was extra but he got what he wanted.

Old 11-01-2005, 06:01 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Continental Sport LT/SUV. JUNK!!! Same tread as the stockers.

I'm yet another with Continental problems. Mine were okay for about 45k, but I had a constant vibration problem with them from then on. I finally looked down at them two weeks ago, and noticed the tread was dangerously close to leaving the tire on one. I pulled that one off and put the spare on. Within 1000 miles I began to have a problem with yet another. It finally got so bad the steering wheel was trying to jiggle out of my hand. I was jacking the truck up to tighten the wheel bearings, and noticed a half inch hump in the tread!?! It looked like a belt split internally. I went straight to Discount Tire and bought a set of Falken STZ04 tires. Hopefully these are better.,,,,98

UPDATE! OMG these tires kick a$$!! I posted last night before I ever got on the freeway. The difference from the Contis is unbelievable!! Even new they couldn't touch the STZ04's with a ten foot pole, lol. The ride is great, SUPER quiet, and handles like it's on rails!!! Highly recommend them to anyone! The only thing that puzzles me is that they break loose easily if you give it too much gas. That may change after they wear a bit. I am very happy wih the purchase though.

The only tire I've had that handled better were yokohama AVS/ST's, but they developed a noise problem at 10k. Those were $100 more for a 245/16. I am using 275/60/17's on FX4 wheels now.

Falken STZ04

Last edited by 98SCREAMER; 11-02-2005 at 08:08 AM.

Quick Reply: Stock Continental Problems