Looking for tires again........Continental tread seperating.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2005, 10:33 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy Looking for tires again........Continental tread seperating.

Well, here we go again. 57k on 80k rated Continental tires, and the treads are seperating.

I had this low speed steering wheel wobble, and was thinking the wheel bearings were loose again. I have had an ongoing battle with them not staying torqued, but not bad really. There was also a light hwy shimmy at about 50-75mph, which I also thought was the wheel bearings. Yesterday I decided to get a good look at the tires, and was pretty shocked. A piece of one of the tread blocks was gone, but only the outer surface. This morning I looked a little closer, since the tire was in a different position rotation wise. My jaw dropped open.......In between the tread blocks at the sidewall breakover, was a split in the rubber. This went about halfway around the tire. I am wondering how close I came to being a statistic. They look pretty close to what I saw with the ATX tires when I worked at a Ford dealer before the recall. Dry tread, missing blocks, etc. They have full coverage from the original dealer, but I refuse to get the same tires, and go through this again.

Continental Sport LT/SUV. Another tire to avoid like the plague......

These were kept inflated correctly, and rotated regularly

Last edited by 98SCREAMER; 10-01-2005 at 10:43 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-01-2005, 10:50 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I put the spare on, and all the problems were gone. I have not hit the highway yet, but I imagine that will be fine as well. I have no faith in the other three tires, since they're beginning to have the same dry tread problems.,,,,98

Old 10-01-2005, 10:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, tires are one of the things that you tend to get what you pay for. That could have been really bad.

Quick Reply: Looking for tires again........Continental tread seperating.