Help with tires please

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 07:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with tires please

Hello all...

Newer to the boards and trying to work my way around. I recently got a 97 F150 4.2 4x4 with a 6" lift. Currently it has 37 x 12.5 x 17 and they are begining to show its time to change them out. I do not know what gears I have in it, I cant say for certain, but I belive they are stock. At the momment I am trying to balance weather or not to replace the tires with the same size, and look at swapping gears: get a smaller tire to try and get closer to the gear ratio. I wouldnt mind loosing a few inches in height, seems it is a bit tall for my wife to be able to get it

Any input would be greatly apprecaited.

Old 09-24-2005, 10:57 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's sort of hard to give you advice without knowing what the gearing is. If you have stock 3.55 gears with a 4.2 V6, even 33's are gonna be a heck of a strain. I can't imagine 37's and stock gears. If the gears are stock, you really need to regear.

Old 09-25-2005, 02:48 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hope you have a manual trans..........

As noted by wandell you are way underpowered for that big a tire, but gears can help. I paid about $550 for new lower gears ( higher # )in my truck, installed by a good local shop.

The tall tires will throw off lots of other things too ( as will re-gearing ).

97 & 98 models must have the speedos corrected in the trans - vss driven gear - more teeth. 99 and later can be adjusted digitally. The information from the vss goes to the PCM which tells the truck how to run.

Before you go too far, I suggest that you do a whole lotta research on the above mentioned topics by using the search function above.

Quick Reply: Help with tires please