brake Question?????

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2005, 04:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brake Question?????

Never done brakes on a vehicle with anti lock system so my question is what if anything do I need to do different then when doing pads on a vehicle without abs. Do I need to open the bleeders on each side before compressing piston back in?? Know how to do pads on non abs but just dont want to mess up the abs. on my truck.

2001 f150 supercrew 4x4 5.4

Thanks

Old 04-23-2005, 06:24 PM
No difference, they are the same.

Old 04-23-2005, 06:28 PM
thanks for the reply. But I just want to make sure that there is no need to open the bleeders?? Seems somewhere I heard that you should do this or you will push air into the system and cause problems.

Old 04-23-2005, 07:46 PM
Don't blame you. Those abs units are expensive. Make sure you have 4 wheel abs first. My 98 has rabs (rear anti lock brakes),

The fellow in town that owns the power brake x-change told me to open the bleeders when reseating the pistons. The tolerances are extremely close inside tha abs units.

I would disconnect the negative battery cable or the abs fuse first. From what I understand this takes the abs resevior out of the loop. If you have to bleed the system including the abs resevior you need a scan tool + to operate the abs to do a complete bleed. disabling the abs will let you bleed it conventionally if needed.

I'm sure someone with more first hand experience will give you more advice.
Good luck.

Old 04-23-2005, 08:58 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Cracking the bleeder valve open before compressing the caliper is a good idea. There's no need to remove any ABS fuses. Just make sure no one steps on the brake pedal with the caliper removed and you'll be fine.

Quick Reply: brake Question?????