wheel bearings

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 12:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wheel bearings

i know this is a site for the F150, but i have a question about my 96 ranger, about 3 weeks ago the wheel bearings started squeeking so i repacked and regreased all the fittings. then it started pulling to the right side but i figured it would work itself out. not the left side inner wheel bearing is out and the whole rotor and everything is wobbling and about to fall off it seems like. is it safe to drive like it is and how much am i looking at to replace all the componets?

Old 04-17-2005, 03:36 PM
Is this on a 4x4 or 4x2? My guess is when you redid this you didn't retorque the spindle nut(s) did you. My guess is that the right side got too tight not allowing the wheel to spin free enough, and that the left side didn't get tight enough allowing the bearings to wobble destroying them. I wouldn't drive the truck in its current condition or you will be looking at much more extensive damage. As for parts that kinda depends what the internals look like and if its 4x4 or 4x2. At minimum I would say you're looking at new inner and outter wheel bearings and seals. To go along with that you're probably looking at new rotor/bearing races. You could also possibly be looking at a new spindle on the left hand side, but it all depends how long you drove it like this. When you redo all this make sure you get a torque wrench and torque the spindle nuts. If you don't have one buy a Chiltons manual as it will have the torques you need. Mine goes up to 92 but it gives you an idea.

2wd:
Step1 17-25ft/lb
Step2 Backoff 1/2 turn
Step3 18-20in/lb

4wd:
Step1 35 ft/lb
Step2 Backoff 1/4 turn
Step3 16 in/lb
Step4 150 ft/lb (outter locknut)

Old 04-17-2005, 04:24 PM
ok

its a 2 wheel drive, i only drove it like that for around 20 miles. i'll be sure to pick up one of those manuals.

Quick Reply: wheel bearings