Brake Lights Come On Intermittently

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 11:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Brake Lights Come On Intermittently

I have a 2002 F150 Lariat and in the and a couple of weeks ago my wife woke me at 2 AM and saying that someone was trying to steal my truck as the lights were on. I took a look from our house and she was right the Brake Lights were on. So equipped with my trusty baseball bat I went investigate. The Brake lights were on but the car was locked. I tried pulling fuses and they would not go off so I disconnected the battery. The next morning I reconnected the battery and all was fine until later in the day I saw the brake lights on again. I tried pushing on the brake pedal a couple of times but they stayed on. The problem seems to have got worse as they are comming on more frequently for anywhere from 1 to 5 minutes and the battery on the truck was flat when I retured from a weekend away.

Any thoughts or help world be appreciated.

Old 04-12-2005, 10:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Brake Lights Come On Intermittently

Originally posted by aussie1
I tried pulling fuses and they would not go off so I disconnected the battery.
The next morning I reconnected the battery and all was fine until later in the day I saw the brake lights on again.
I tried pushing on the brake pedal a couple of times but they stayed on.
If you're sure you removed the fuse for the brake light circuit and still had power at the brake lights, you have a short in your wiring (probably from the trailer wiring) that needs to be traced and repaired.

If you're not positive it was the brake light fuse you pulled, you may have a stop light switch that has come out of adjustment-or has gone bad altogether.

Get under the dash and manually depress the plunger on the switch with a second person being your eyes at the back of the truck. If they light up and go out with you cycling the switch, readjust the switch. If they stay on, unplug the switch from the harness. If the lights go off then, buy a new switch.

SL

Quick Reply: Brake Lights Come On Intermittently