Shopping for wheels, what should I know?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 07:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shopping for wheels, what should I know?

I've got an '05 F150 Lariat. I'm shopping for wheels/tires for it, but what should I know while doing so? I read stuff about offset and backspacing and stuff like that, but really don't understand it.

I'm looking at a 20" wheel, or maybe a 22". What do I need to know to be sure the wheels I look at will fit without too much trouble (meaning none at all)?

I have no lift, no plans on getting one, and will prob'ly go with like a 285/55-20 or 305/40-22, depending on the wheel size.

Help a brutha out? Teach me. I NEED TO LEARN!

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-08-2005, 10:52 PM
https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?gnum=4955
I had these on mine for about a week or so and moved so now I must get rid of. Contact if interested.

Old 04-09-2005, 09:20 AM
I guess I could always use the classified section if my post was about buying wheels from someone, but what I asked about is if there's anything I should specifically know while shopping, so I don't select wheels that won't work.

You should consider using the classified section as well.

Now, do you have any answers for me besides that?

Old 04-18-2005, 05:14 PM
What I did before getting new wheels was a lot of search on different manufacturers and what they have available for the specific year. I learn the definition of backspacing and offset. I remove my wheels and checked the backspacing and compared it with the manual. Mine have a 5x135 bolt pattern and as you can see on yours is a 6 bolt. If you can't find the definition just let me know and I will post it here.

Nowadays the aftermarket is full of information on specific applications.

As for the tires, get what you really need. I will assume you will be all the time on the road, so get a product accordingly.

But I think the perfect help for you would be a 04-05 2wd owner with the same interest in buying wheel such as the 20's or 22's. There are some specifics to that area that I don't know since I am running a very different combination.

Be patience and don't pay for anything until you are completely satisfied and sure that you are getting what you really need and want. And keep coming here because 95% of the time you will get the information you need.

Quick Reply: Shopping for wheels, what should I know?