New Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 08:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Rotors

Can some one please tell me how to determine if my truck has 2 or 4 wheel ABS? When I went to purchase new rotors I was asked this and I have no idea how to tell. One more thing witch Rotor type is the best Slotted or Slotted and Cross Driled?

Old 03-28-2005, 06:53 PM
Look on your rear brake rotor and see if it has a gear looking thing. This is the exciter ring for the ABS, at least that's what some of my mustangs had. As far as rotors, read this

(Sport Slotted Rotor Kit

The EBC "GD" series is signified by a "three spot" drilling pattern and a wide aperture full width slot. The full width slot expels dirt, rust, dust, grit, water and any other contaminants that may get between the pad and the disc surface. One important feature is to note that our wide aperture slots also can contain significant volumes of surface gases which are created during heavy braking and prevent the pad from "aquaplaning" on these gases, allowing the pad to contact the disc better and improve brake performance.

The three blind holes drilled in EBC's "GD" series are to further break down gas film in between the slots but are not "through drilled" for one very special reason. 99% of all brake rotors designed and made in the world are what we call straight vaned. This means that the ventilation slots go directly from the outer edge of the rotor, towards the centre point of the disc. There is absolutely NO BENEFIT in through drilling brake rotors which do not have the vane system designed in a "scoop" fashion (which draws air through the centre core of the disc). In fact the drilling of holes through straight vaned discs can, if the holes coincide with the positioning of the vane, weaken a disc and cause catastrophic damage.

EBC Rotors are sold in pairs. So one set will cover both the left and right wheel of the front or rear of the vehicle.)

This is from www.ajusa.com . Maybe this will help you.

Old 03-28-2005, 08:51 PM
Another way to check is to follw the lines from the master cylinder. If they all go to an ABS unit it 4 wheel if not the RABS.

Old 03-28-2005, 09:03 PM
disc or drum

The easiest way to tell the difference between disc and drum is to take off the wheel and if the braking surface is a thin flat semi shinny surface on both sides it is disc brakes.

If it is drum brakes, there is a "big" cover slides off "not easilly" and the shoe brakes are behind the drum.

Drilled and slotted are definately the better of the two. They cool and release the gases better than standard disc rotors.

Old 03-28-2005, 09:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Which do you think are better - EBC or Powerslots?

Old 03-28-2005, 09:26 PM
???????????

Sorry, I don't know. Good luck, if you find out let me know.

Quick Reply: New Rotors