Help with ABS or whatever problem with brakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 04:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Help with ABS or whatever problem with brakes

We have a 1999 Ford F-150 with 53,300 miles. Have had it for 2 years. No problems last winter. This year the brakes feel like they hang up at a certain point and then release. Twice we were told it was the ABS and nothing was wrong. Have had it in the dealership twice. Front brakes are at 75%. They replaced warped drums in rear and adjusted them. They also get hot and smell hot even after a short distance. This problem is so bad that it seems the truck won't stop in time. Any ideas as to what this problem is?

Old 02-21-2005, 02:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Judy,
I have a 2001 Supercab and had a very similar problem not too long ago. What I had was that when I pressed the brake, the truck felt like the ABS was engaging very violently. It usually got worse the warmer the brakes got. What it ended upo being was that the rear rotors were warped. I changed out the front and rear rotors and put new brakes on and haven't had a problem since. By the way, the dealership told me that it was the ABS and that it could cost upwards of $1000 to fix. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Help with ABS or whatever problem with brakes