Engine Miss and Check Engine Light.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2000, 02:09 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Erik,

No, you cannot read ECU codes by "jumpering" that ALDL port, you will need a proper code reader/scanner.

In this case, I would suggest a quick trip to the dealer, so it can be properly diagnosed. They'll connect it to the SBDS (Ford's Service Bay Diagnostic System) system and retrieve any error codes, so they can tell you what's wrong with it.

If you like, you can always go out and buy your own good code scanner, they run about $150 & up for OBD-II (1996 & up) units. Scan for your codes, then repair/replace what's causing the problem yourselves, if you and/or your brother feels comfortable doing that kind of work.

If not, then just take it into the dealer, and do let us know what you or they find.

Sorry I can't be more help, & good luck!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Old 12-11-2000, 06:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Well, me and my brother went out to my truck for lunch. We checked the first (duh) thing. It turns out that one of my spark plug wires popped out (Plug 5). Getting the plug back in was a royal pain. They really need to make the engines easier to work on. I guess they have elves that are small enough to fit there. I plugged the plug back in, the miss was gone. Weeee! It was nothing serious. Started the engine and the "Check Engine" light was. I unplugged the battery for about half an hour, hooked it up and engine ran fine and the light is off.

Thanks! B)

Old 12-12-2000, 12:10 AM
Angry Engine Miss and Check Engine Light.

I got a little problem. This morning while driving into work my acceleration became bumpy and on idle I feel a wondrous bucking. To top it all off my "Check Engine" light is on. Does a miss usually turn that light on, or could it be something with my ignition system? My brother wants to know if you can "read" the problem code by jumpering something in the ALDL? I have no idea what that means, but he is pretty good with cars.

Thanks all!

------------------
--
Erik
etimmer1@home.com

97 150 XLT 4.6L V8
K&N Filter
Vel. Tube (soon)

My Web Page (not much here)

Old 12-12-2000, 12:16 AM
Question

I don't have any idea what that means either. How many miles do you have on it? Sounds like what mine did at 80,000. I changed the plugs and wires which fixed it. Hopefully somebody smart will come along and help out here

------------------
'97 F-150 Lariat SuperCab 4X4
  • White/Silver, 4.6L, Auto.
  • Tinted Windows/Bedmat/Toolbox/Lund Bug Deflector/Ventvisors/Extra Horns
  • 265/75/16 BFGoodrich on polished 16x8 AR-136's
  • Cat-back Dual Exhaust (Straight pipes with big chrome tips)
  • Polar Bear Grille Guard
  • Cranked Torsion Bars for 1" Lift

Old 12-12-2000, 12:21 AM
Red face

Ooops, my truck has 35,000 miles. Not too many.

Quick Reply: Engine Miss and Check Engine Light.