P0345, P0349, P2196 getting frustrated

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 11:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P0345, P0349, P2196 getting frustrated

I have a 05 with the 5.4l. I replaced timing chains, phasers, guides, tentioners, and crank sprocket. After I put it all back together, ta-da! It ran perfect.... For about 20 mins.

Before heading out I i gave it some gas and held it at 3,500 rpm for about 30 sec. When I let off the gas it started running bad, missing and barley keeping idle. Check engine light came on and got 3 codes, p0345,p0349,p2196.

I have replaced all sparkplugs, coil packs. Cam sensor. I have sprayed all vacumm lines i can get to with starter fluid and nothing. Took valve cover back off and checked chain. Chain is tight and "appears" to still be in time. I might swap the o2 sensors and see if the codes go to the other side. Also see that the vtc solenoid might need replaced. I just got a pressure tester to test each cylinders pressure too.

Its a rant but i need help, hitching rides to and from work suck so PLEASE! SOMEONE HELP!

Old 04-16-2016, 09:10 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
It does not seem to me that the two problems (P2196) & (P0345-9) are related. Both could be electrical connection related, but can't think of anything electrical that is very closely related.

However, for P2196 - check the Heater circuit for passenger side O2 sensor for opens / shorts. A copy of wiring diagram is here: http://www.devoll.com/Public/f150-5_4L-engine-performance-wiring.pdf

An electrical problem (weak battery/starter drawing too much current) or poor connections somewhere can cause P0345 and/or P0349. They occur early in a run cycle, and thus starter load can trigger them. Since you have BOTH (that started as a result of revving the engine up), those seem more likely. The Cam Position Sensors share a common ground signal ground wire, and electrical noise can result in these. This Question/Answer link might help.
http://www.autocodes.com/qa/19510/05...0345-and-p0349

Old 04-16-2016, 10:59 PM
Originally Posted by F150Torqued
It does not seem to me that the two problems (P2196) & (P0345-9) are related. Both could be electrical connection related, but can't think of anything electrical that is very closely related.

However, for P2196 - check the Heater circuit for passenger side O2 sensor for opens / shorts. A copy of wiring diagram is here: http://www.devoll.com/Public/f150-5_4L-engine-performance-wiring.pdf

An electrical problem (weak battery/starter drawing too much current) or poor connections somewhere can cause P0345 and/or P0349. They occur early in a run cycle, and thus starter load can trigger them. Since you have BOTH (that started as a result of revving the engine up), those seem more likely. The Cam Position Sensors share a common ground signal ground wire, and electrical noise can result in these. This Question/Answer link might help.
http://www.autocodes.com/qa/19510/05...0345-and-p0349
An elecrical problem like this can cause the truck to run rough and lag in power? I have thought about unplugging the alternator to see if it will stop the codes but the only forum i seen were this fixed the problem they didnt have any running issues.

Would a vacuum leak throw all these codes?

I hooked a dtc machine up to it to find the codes but didnt know what all 42 reading ment.

Old 04-16-2016, 11:48 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by WhiteOutf150
An elecrical problem like this can cause the truck to run rough and lag in power? ...

Yes, for example, the P2196 has to do with readings from an O2 sensor being out of whack. How can the engine properly adjust fuel mixture with this condition present? Certainly could effect performance. The P0345 and P0349 indicate the PCM is having trouble seeing Cam position - so - how can it properly adjust ignition timing if it can't determine where the camshaft is with respect to Crankshaft or TDC on Cyl #1?

Would a vacuum leak throw all these codes?

A vacuum leak is not going to throw the above mentioned codes.

I hooked a dtc machine up to it to find the codes but didnt know what all 42 reading ment.
If you have 42 DTC's, I would reset codes, do a battery disconnect reset, go through the relearn procedure - then try to sort out and fix the issue causing the First code or codes that comes up. Then repeat the reset process and move to the next code or codes that pop up. No one can figure out what is going on with a bunch of codes simultaneously.

Old 04-16-2016, 11:57 PM
Ok, makes sence. Just never had any problems like this before and electrical is all new to me but gives me a place to start.

The dts reading were off the p0345 code, it had reading like fuel and volts to stuff.

Old 04-18-2016, 10:25 PM
Well unplugged the alternator and no change, suppose switching the o2 sensors around and seeing if the code goes to the other side. Also could my cat being clogged? Or valve get bent/broke when its was running great then rough all the sudden after running it at 3.5k rpms for about 20 sec? I think i might have to have a professional look at it.

Last edited by WhiteOutf150; 04-18-2016 at 10:36 PM.

Quick Reply: P0345, P0349, P2196 getting frustrated