engine sputtering when accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 05:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
engine sputtering when accelerating

This just started last night. As I was getting on the freeway as I was accelerating from 30 up I had almost no power and the engine was sputtering. It only does this when accelerating, and at any speed now. At first I was afraid at idle at a stop light it would die on me, but luckily it didn’t.
It is a 2001 f150 5.4 xlt with 230k on it and have owned it for 2 years. A couple months after buying it we had sporadic problems with it starting. It was a year process finally solving it, (since it was very intermittent) after changing the fuel filter (which could have been the original one) some relays, getting a new key, and I cant remember what else, I figured out it was the fuel pump. The pump motor had a small dead spot in it, and if it ever stopped in that position, when putting the key in the on position, the pump wouldn’t engage. Well I got a new pump and swapped it out, which was a fun process, and the new one was a little smaller. I have had the pump in for about 5 months now.
Last summer I was getting some real bad misfiring. Well long story short, just before that I changed all my plugs. I thought something might had happened after I changed them and was getting a code for one of the plug wires. I took it in and they changed it. Well shortly after it happened again, this time on a different coil. So I bought a full set of 8, (that alone was cheaper than one being done at the shop) and changed them all myself. It ran good for a week, then I get misfiring again. This time popped the hood and found the problem. There is a radiator line that goes above the engine into the cab to the heater core. There is a plastic union that joined 2 hoses, and it was slightly leaking into the chamber wells. (previously there was a small amount of water in the plug wells, but many forums said it was from condensation) fixed the leak and book, all better.
So other than that nothing else wrong with performance. The air filter and battery was changed with my last oil change. Im thinking of looking at my spark plugs, but I live in WA and its raining a lot lately, and I don’t have a shop so that may have to wait. Does anyone have any ideas on where to go from here?

Last edited by dredoggem; 03-04-2016 at 05:17 PM.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:33 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
The leak may have killed one or more of your new coils.

Old 03-04-2016, 07:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
The leak may have killed one or more of your new coils.
The leak was last summer and it has been running fine since until yesterday.

Old 03-04-2016, 11:50 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Cheap Chinese coils? Non-Motorcraft spark plugs?

Quick Reply: engine sputtering when accelerating