Dorman Intake Manifold

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 01:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dorman Intake Manifold

For those that have replaced their intake manifolds with Dorman units, how many trouble free miles do you have on your Dorman intake now?

Anybody have problems with their Dorman Intake Manifold?

I am trying to decide if I should use the Dorman intake or spring for the extra $250 for the Ford intake & gaskets.

Also, I have heard the Dorman intake is louder since you can't use the insulation on the bottom of it.

Any truth to this, and does it bother you?

Last edited by TNSean; 12-30-2015 at 01:32 AM.
Old 12-30-2015, 09:28 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
I am not a fan of Dorman.

I recommend Motorcraft OEM parts.

Old 12-31-2015, 07:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I put a Dorman on my 01 Expedition to replace a cracked original. I have about 55000 miles on it with no issues. Couldn't really tell difference in sound levels.

Old 01-01-2016, 12:36 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I replaced my cracked "original Motorcraft OEM" IM around 100,000 mi. Now have 211,000 without return of the signature 0171 / 0174 codes from vacuum leaks since. Was concerned enough to repeat the flammable liquid test on the new Dorman one after install. It too is a two piece plastic contraption sweated together with 'glued' seams all over the place. But exhibited no leaks and has served well.

Old 01-27-2016, 11:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I finished up the install of the Dorman Intake Manifold today. Everything went well. I only had one issue. The plastic tab of a coil connector broke off during reassembly. It literally just fell off with very little pressure applied. I got a replacement and spliced it in. No biggie.

I pressure tested the cooling system and it held pressure, no leaks at all.

Everything works great and I would use the Dorman Intake again. The one thing everyone complains about is that it doesn't have metal inserts for the COP mounting bolts and where the fuel rail and accelerator cable mount. It is a valid concern, you just have to watch your torque and not over tighten/strip. You save a good $300 vs the stock part and gaskets needed. For that money, it is worth it IMO.

I didn't notice any noise difference at all.

The install is very straight forward. The only issues are the fasteners at the rear of the engine. Very tight, but doable. Other than that, it is easy and straight forward. I removed the fan and shroud so that I could sit on the radiator support with my legs in the engine bay. This gives you complete and easy access. I would recommend doing this. A little extra work, but you aren't leaning over the grill the whole time and it really helps with getting to the rear of the engine. I didn't mark where any of the electrical or vacuum hoses went that I disconnected or removed completely. Everything fell into place upon reassembly. I did keep all hardware separated with each part that it went to. That was very helpful.

I also replaced the COPs with motorcraft parts, water pump, alternator, tensioner and idler pulley. COPs had been going out and the non OEM replacements weren't lasting. Other parts where factory original with 218k miles on them. Alternator had some whine from the bearing, water pump had a little too much rocking in the bearing and the bearings on the tensioner and idler where just starting to get noisy. Engine is so quiet now I can hear the injectors clicking and no more whine. Of course I also changed the plugs even though they only had 40k miles on them. Easiest plug change ever. Takes all of 10 minutes.

Hopefully the engine hits 300k.

Last edited by TNSean; 01-27-2016 at 11:28 PM.
Old 01-28-2016, 01:03 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Wow. Great report and a very satisfying to hear such a success story. You did a great job.

I'm about exactly where you are mileage wise. I've got a big box of parts I've been collecting for some time - lots of the same things you mention that are original on mine too - and I'm going to be starting a full timing job with oil pump and everything in a couple of weeks. Need you to pull for me now. Together - we'll make that 300 or 400k mile marker.

Quick Reply: Dorman Intake Manifold