no steering!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 01:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no steering!

I just replaced the tie rod ends on my 2011 f150, when I got in and started it, there was a "Power steering assist fault" on my instrument panel, and I do not have any power steering!, I've un-hooked my battery over night, still nothing. Has any one ever hear of anything like this? And what is best fix?

Old 07-05-2015, 03:24 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Something sticks in the back of my mind that if you don't disconnect the battery when working on any steering components on a vehicle with electric steering, you can damage the system. The best fix, although expensive, is probably get it to a Ford dealer.

Old 07-05-2015, 08:59 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Internals in the rack are very sensitive components and senors.

You'd probably need to get it to the dealer

Old 07-06-2015, 11:40 AM
Ford Customer Service Team
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rcrooker
I just replaced the tie rod ends on my 2011 f150, when I got in and started it, there was a "Power steering assist fault" on my instrument panel, and I do not have any power steering!, I've un-hooked my battery over night, still nothing. Has any one ever hear of anything like this? And what is best fix?
Welcome to the forum, rcrooker. As the others suggested, it sounds like it's time to make an appointment at your local Ford Dealership. Find one near you by entering your ZIP code here: http://www.ford.com/dealerships/locate What's the current mileage on your truck? I'll investigate some ways to help.

Crystal

Old 07-06-2015, 12:01 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Zounds! Another reason that I'm glad that I avoided buying a truck with E-steering! It sounds like just another money maker for the stealerships!

OP. I would first try disconnecting the battery and then reconnecting it. Perhaps it will reset something in the E-steering mechanism.

Old 07-06-2015, 04:49 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well the way we can all learn here is if you come back and tell us all what the deal was and how they fixed it. Then maybe the next guy wont have to go to the dealer!

Quick Reply: no steering!