Please confirm TDC on 2006 5.4 v8

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 05:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please confirm TDC on 2006 5.4 v8

Hello all,
After reading posts I decided to take on a timing chain replacement job. I have everything off except the chains and gears. Before I take them off I want to make sure i have the engine @ top dead center.

I turned the crank until the key was at 12 o'clock. (please excuse the rust. I lost my job midway through the breakdown and had couldn't continue. Now that i'm back to work I'm trying to finish, I am scrubbing the rust off as soon as I type this.)
Name:  20150701_210248.jpg
Views: 2086
Size:  182.8 KB

The drivers side. looks like a mid 1 o'clock position.
Name:  20150701_210302.jpg
Views: 3007
Size:  199.2 KB

Here is the passenger side - Its pointing kinda 11:15-1130'ish position
Name:  20150701_210317.jpg
Views: 3327
Size:  170.0 KB

I noticed at the bottom its the same arrow thats pointing up on the drivers side. Thats got to mean something...
Name:  20150701_194046.jpg
Views: 1862
Size:  211.8 KB

Hopefully someone can shed some light onto this situation. a pic of how they should look would be super helpful as well.

Thank you all.

Old 07-05-2015, 10:30 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I don't think "TDC" is the guidepost. Some drawings show the Crankshaft "Key" at 12 o'clock with the timing mark at 7 o'clock - and other drawings (including the FORD FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL) show the "Key" at 11 o'clock with the timing mark at 6 o'clock. Proper alignment of the timing marks can be achieved either way.

Photos are pre-dissemble and you didn't mention WHY you tackled the job, but the passenger's side looks to be improperly timed. Are you saying the little 'tick' mark on the right phaser is lined up between the timing links on the chain? I can't tell from the photo.

Lots of useful information can be found in the following thread - particularly the drawings in Post # 5.

http://www.f150forum.com/f4/final-re...-sound-141266/

Also, this thread relates to your issue, particularly posts 4, 7 & 14

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/70...ml#post5714734

Good luck on your project.

Old 07-05-2015, 02:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the input. I took on the job because the timing chain ate the chain guide.

What I'm saying is there are no marks on the chain to use as a reference and there are two sets of marks on the cams. One is a dash and the other looks like the ENTER button on a keyboard.

When placing the chain on the cam the two colored links go on each side of the mark right.

Which one of these marks do I use to properly place the chain, the dash or the enter sign? You can see both marks in the pics above

Thanks

Old 07-05-2015, 02:56 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Question Right Phaser = Left Phaser (upside down)???

@Royalty

No marks on the chain is a problem for verifying present timing before removing the chain. Since you can fold a chain in half and mark ONE link for Crank end and TWO at the other end - for Camshaft marks, (Off the engine of course). Otherwise I Guess one could count the number of links, subtract 1, and divide by two and find the number of links from the crankshaft gear mark to one side of the camshaft mark. (LOL, I know it ain't funny - but it should work). And YES, the Phaser mark goes "between" the two colored links.

However, the Cam Phaser aren't "universal" per my understanding. They come in Pairs. One marked with an "R" and the other with an "L", that so happens to resemble a "Return Key" symbol as you described. See attached photos. However - a photo in the Ford Service Manual shows the Right hand Phaser with an - like an elongated - "0" between the colored links. (would be nice if you had colored links!), then it would look just like yours.

I cannot authoritatively say ... But it appears yours has two "Left" bank phasers on it - UNLESS a bank 2 Phaser can be mounted on Bank 1 with the mark 180 degrees out. I do note that most of the Phasers seem to have "some type mark" or "dot" on the opposite side of the "R" or "L".

NOTE HOWEVER that I said I CANNOT AUTHORITIVELY COMMENT ABOUT THAT, so please - please do not try it on my suggestion. Perhaps someone with more knowledge will chime in here.

Last edited by F150Torqued; 07-05-2015 at 03:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Please confirm TDC on 2006 5.4 v8