Timing Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 10:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing Help Needed

I have a 2006 F150 5.4L. I am doing a timing job on it. When I pulled timing cover off, I discovered the chain was off 2 teeth on both sides and the tensioners were shot. I pulled the tensioners off. Before I pulled the chains off I started to rotate the crank so I could get started. As I was turning the crank, the chains on both phasers jumped multiple teeth. I didn't realize what had happened at first so I turned the crank some more and the chains jumped again. I am now lost as to my next step. I am sure my cams are no longer in sync with the crank and I am worried that I am going to have an interference problem (I may have one now). I think my screw up was taking tensioners off before I turned the crank. I am hoping somebody on this forum can get me corrected.

Old 05-09-2015, 12:26 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Do you have the factory service (or comparable) manual? If not, that's the first thing you need.

Old 05-09-2015, 02:35 PM
Timing issue

I do not see a maintenance tab in the link you posted.

Old 05-09-2015, 05:00 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
That link is just for owner's manuals, not service manuals, that's his standard signature. Cheapest place to get factory service manuals is on DVD from Ebay.

Old 05-09-2015, 05:15 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by jhayes0202
I do not see a maintenance tab in the link you posted.
Yeah, they redid their website's layout recently. I need to update my signature I guess. Owner's manuals are now under "Parts and Service"

You can also buy short term access to Ford service documentation at http://www.helminc.com/helm/ford_osi...lm&class_2=FRD

Old 08-15-2015, 09:45 PM
Closure to timing issue

I should have posted this months ago but I did fix timing problem with my truck. I was really worried because I know this is a full interference engine. Basically I just removed all the rocker arms. I did not have the spring compression tool so removal and installation of rockers was difficult. I used the old ford method of using a pry bar. Great care was used since the heads are aluminum. Timing this truck was actually easy once the fear of valve damage was gone. The truck runs much better now that it's timed correctly. I don't know how it ran properly when it was off a few teeth.

Quick Reply: Timing Help Needed