02 F150 4.6 running hot but not overheating

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 10:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 F150 4.6 running hot but not overheating

My truck with 131K miles on it is running hot. Temp needle gets about halfway or alittle more. No check engine light, no overheating , full of anti freeze. But when i stop after just a 20 mile ride my engine is HOT. Its ticking after i shut it down due to the heat. It runs just fine. I checked to see if something flew into my radiator that was blocking the air, nothing there. Hoses all good.
Anyone else have this problem? Or any ideas what it might be?
Thanks alot.

Old 02-25-2015, 10:25 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 02F150n89 5 0
My truck with 131K miles on it is running hot. Temp needle gets about halfway or alittle more. No check engine light, no overheating , full of anti freeze. But when i stop after just a 20 mile ride my engine is HOT. Its ticking after i shut it down due to the heat. It runs just fine. I checked to see if something flew into my radiator that was blocking the air, nothing there. Hoses all good.
Thanks alot.
How do you know it is in fact 'hot' without an actual water temp reading??

That gauge is just a light that looks like a gauge. And useless unless it pegs - which is indicative of overheating.

Got an IR thermometer?

OR - Try the cluster self-test procedure to pull the actual ECT.

Check the clutch fan fer proper operation.

MGD

Old 02-25-2015, 10:33 AM
MGD,
thanks for your reply. Im just saying the water temp used to be in the bottom half lower and then about a month ago it went up to half and alittle higher. Ill get the exact reading on the temp when i bring it to the shop. I just was wondering if I can do anything in the mean time. I apprecite your help. I will check the ECT.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:49 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Below half on the gauge is running too cool. In the middle or slightly higher is normal.

Old 04-30-2015, 01:40 PM
Originally Posted by 02F150n89 5 0
Thanks alot.
I have the same problem you had. I replaced t-stat, radiator, coolant temp sending unit. Heater core. No result. Have you figured out the problem with yours??? Need help.

Quick Reply: 02 F150 4.6 running hot but not overheating