broke bolt off when changing my thermostat

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 05:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
broke bolt off when changing my thermostat

I have a ford f150 1999 and I did some stupid stuff today. I broke a bolt off when taking off the cover to the thermostat. When I bored out the bolt to try to extract it out I went through the other side of the metal and I am wanting to know if that is going to leak antifreeze. Could anyone answer me that, please.

I thought I would extract the rest of the bolt and I when I put the extractor in it disappeared in the hole and it is too far down to pull it out with plyers. I tried rare earth magnets and since I had a hole in the bottom of the cast steel piece that holds the bolts in I tried using wire to come from the bottom, but there must be steel from the threads in the way I could not get anything to go my way. I tried compressed air and it did not work either.

So I am stuck with a bolt extractor where I want my bolt to be. I am trying to figure out a way to get a female square end to fit over the extractor, but it is so small I dont know where to find one.

Please help me if you can, Matt Kenyon

Old 12-01-2014, 01:16 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Slip soda straw over the extractor (if it will fit in the hole) then pour some sticky stuff or glue into the straw. Let it harden then lift it out.

A small piece of fuel line might do the trick also, or vac line.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: broke bolt off when changing my thermostat